Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Challenge yourself to compose everyday!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
To explain the details of the challenge, you will pick one random chord and try to compose starting the song with that chord.

You can make the sequence as long or as short as you want, as long as you're satisfied with whatever ideas you get from it.

That being said, make at least one sequence every day referring to the lists below. You cannot use the same starting chord in more than one sequence.

If you don't want to do this challenge over an insane amount of time, you can compose more than one sequence in a day. You just have to use a different chord in each sequence.

The purpose of this challenge is to make sequencing a habit, as well as to attempt and break the writer's block. (I know I have one, which is why I decided to make this thread.)

If you complete a tier, your username will be posted under the tier that you complete. (And yes, predecessor tiers can be carried over and counted into higher-difficulty tiers.)

I guess your prize for completing a tier will be bragging rights (?) I haven't decided yet haha.

Good luck and have fun sequencing!

Copy-paste any list below onto here so you can have a fair randomization. 

Refer to this site if you need to know which notes to place in a chord.

Casuals' Tier: The easiest category of the challenge, and probably the most recommended if you're new to music theory and/or you want to make something plain and simple. This will include the major and minor chords of all twelve keys. There are a total of 24 chords, so if you compose one sequence everyday, this challenge will last you a little over 3 weeks.
Crimson

More Than Just A Cup Of Tea Tier: If plain major and minors don't fit your boat, this category will let you compose with the 6ths and the various types of 7ths. (Dominant, Major and Minor 7ths) There are a total of 84 chords, so if you compose one sequence everyday, this challenge will last you almost 3 months.

Main Dish Tier: Adding from the Cup Of Tea tier, this will also include 9ths, diminished, and augmented chords. There's a total of 180 chords, so if you compose one sequence everyday, this challenge will last you 6 months.

Full Course Tier: Includes most other chord extensions not mentioned in the Main Dish Tier. This includes 11ths, 13ths, suspensions, and half diminished chords. There are a total of 264 chords, so if you compose one sequence everyday, this challenge will last you almost 9 months.

Lucent Tier: Contains all the chords found on 8Notes, except the chords with an alternate base note and the power chords. This will include chords that have more than one extension, i.e. D# 9#5 instead of just D# 9 and so forth. There are a total of 396 chords, so if you compose one sequence everyday, this challenge will last you a little over a year. You damn tryhard. (PSA I quit on the first day LMAO)
this is actually a good idea. i won't do it tho soz
soz  :D
Not doing this but I like using extended chords. Here are a few chords you can add: Polychords (for example, Cmaj over F#maj is pretty crazy). And #11th chords (in jazz they rarely use natural 11th chords. Try Cmaj#11, it's beautiful). Biggest challenge: Make a chord that uses all 12 notes and sounds half-decent.
Why was BilboCosby banned?
I already Do This Everday,No challenge for me but I accept Smile