Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Number of total available keys
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all. Thank you for reading.
I am just wondering why there are only 72 total keys available here on the OS editor.

I think that I have enough experience to confidently state that most midis (/the information they send) are compatible with at least 88 musical tones (not including pitch modulations and/or other augmentations).

With this forum post, I simply hoped to
(1) Address the issue.
(2) Perhaps ask why the issue is occurring (e.g. why did the developers chose to limit the amount of keys on the OS editor, if this information is possible to retrieve and understand.)
(3) Suggest a change.
-My suggestion, of course, is that the developer add the extra 16 keys (the 15 keys on the bottom, from A0 to B1 [for that is almost 2 entire octaves that are missing from the bottom of our piano!]; and the 1 key on the top, C8).

I hope you all agree!
Thanks again for reading.
-Firebolt
The problem is midi art would take up more space with their complete chaos of notes. Black Midi would have bigger area to spread the madness. I understand what you are saying but at a certain point the notes are to low or high for you to hear them.
Adding more octaves makes the site slower to load for everyone, even if they aren't used. The range used to be much more limited, but most people seem to be happy with what it is now.
(01-03-2018, 09:33 PM)Jacob_ Wrote: [ -> ]Adding more octaves makes the site slower to load for everyone, even if they aren't used. The range used to be much more limited, but most people seem to be happy with what it is now.

Jacob please do us all a favor and add C8. :c
The complete midi keyboard has 128 keys. That would be too excessive.
(01-03-2018, 09:33 PM)Jacob_ Wrote: [ -> ]Adding more octaves makes the site slower to load for everyone, even if they aren't used. The range used to be much more limited, but most people seem to be happy with what it is now.

Okay, thanks Jacob!
I guess I shouldn't be complaining, but I thought it was notable enough to mention on a forum post.
And I guess that it probably is true that it would cause a lot more lag (although, I'm sure my computer should be able to handle it).

Maybe in the future (as a secondary suggestion) there could be an option to add more notes in the editor.
Maybe something like this image that I made.
But, after thinking about that,
I'm just starting to realize that if that were actually a thing, then half of the sequences on the OS might have 88 keys while the other half would be 76 and it might be hard to keep all of the sequences organized.

Anyway,
it's a nice little thing to discuss.
Thanks for the answer Jacob.