Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Why are UT AUs so popular?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After thinking about it myself and googling the question, I think I have greatly underestimated one of UT's core channels of destruction: its AUs. When I was listening to AU music remixes, I thought nothing of it at the time, but with Sequenced Anomalies it made me think. No other fandom I know has so many AUs. Based on my own thoughts and research to confirm my beliefs, I realized the answer:
UT has a heck of a lot of story and characters. (Also there is Sans, according to my research, but that is another topic.)

Let us compare other popular but cringy games of this era to UT:
FNAF: all horror characters and settings with no different archetypes or branching story
DDLC: 5 characters of different archetypes with bland settings and a compelling but not branching story
UT: many different characters and setting of different archetypes with a branching story

The conditions in UT, combined with San's popularity, result in several AUs mixing different fandoms. Though there are some games like Garfield Kart (jk) that are at UT's standards, I don't think of any that are popular. Now here is the fun part: write in the comments a game that is up to UT's standards and I'll make an OS AU about THAT game!

And as always,
Minecraft lmaoooooooooooooo
(02-25-2018, 08:40 PM)Eandrew Wrote: [ -> ]Minecraft lmaoooooooooooooo

most intelligent reply to anything ever. 109401 iq.
Undertale has so many AU's I think cause its got more going on in a way. You sort of bring this up with the fact that there are so many characters but my point is that UT has like a whole "world" kinda going on whereas Doki Doki takes place in a "video game" and FNAF is kinda supposed to take place in "our" world, or at least something like it. Undertale on the other hand has like a weird dumb fantasy kingdom.
(02-25-2018, 08:46 PM)EtherBot Wrote: [ -> ]Undertale has so many AU's I think cause its got more going on in a way. You sort of bring this up with the fact that there are so many characters but my point is that UT has like a whole "world" kinda going on whereas Doki Doki takes place in a "video game" and FNAF is kinda supposed to take place in "our" world, or at least something like it. Undertale on the other hand has like a weird dumb fantasy kingdom.

I mentioned its branching story paths and settings. What if we say they are equal weight? Either way, I still can't think of another game close to it.
Tetris

No, seriously though, A couple of games come to my mind.
While not because of the same reasons, due to it have a KINDA set story line, The way OneShot writes its story and dialogue makes it feel like you have some choice, even in areas where it's blatantly obvious you don't. (+ It's a MASSIVE 'all aboard the feels train' kinda game. :v) although... Oneshot doesn't have very many AU's as Undertale, not even close, but different AU's are a part of the canon game; Certain characters behave differently EVERY reset, just as an AU would; everything's the same, EXCEPT 'Insert changes here'. I'd also say it's meta levels are DEFINITELY up there with undertale, due to having to change files just to play through the game again...And things will be different! I won't go into too much detail, due to spoilers I'd say worth looking into, but it's up to you!
Would you believe I just read about OneShot fairly recently and I never thought about its implications to this discussion until now? I'm an idiot.
P.S. HA TectonicCatharsis MY HUNCH WAS RIGHT
Edit 2: Will try to get a phd in OneShot to create an AU for it.
WAIT! Kindergarten is another game that fits these qualifications, even more so than OneShot! idk what to do with my life now
(02-25-2018, 08:46 PM)EtherBot Wrote: [ -> ]Undertale has so many AU's I think cause its got more going on in a way. You sort of bring this up with the fact that there are so many characters but my point is that UT has like a whole "world" kinda going on whereas Doki Doki takes place in a "video game" and FNAF is kinda supposed to take place in "our" world, or at least something like it. Undertale on the other hand has like a weird dumb fantasy kingdom.

I don't really care about this thread anymore but I found this video which uses the exact same comparisons I did: https://youtu.be/wYoXzpa3ar4?t=50