Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Follow-up on my previous Suggestion thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Great news! Recently, I've gotten to work on an offline copy of Online Sequencer, which means I can put to practice the changes suggested earlier. This update would be called the "World" update as it features many instruments from around the world.

You can see most of them in this video:

(note: I forgot to list the Music Box instrument)

I'll explain the changes I made in greater detail in this post:

The Logo: I decided to bring back the the style of the old logo yet maintain a modern look. I added a drop shadow to both the logo and each text element in the logo giving it a design that catches the eye.

The Font: The "Mecha" font is a font that I found while looking through the files, and it really appealed to me! I decided to use it to make the site stand out from the default look of the current font.

The Layout: A lot of change was introduced when talking about the layout, so here's a bullet list:
  • The instruments menu was moved from a dropdown menu to the side, so now you have your instruments all there! It's a bit finicky having to drop down, switch, and put back every time. And for the new instruments there are in this version, it seemed a bit more mandatory compared to having a drop-down menu that could potentially cover half the screen.
  • The instrument selection button was moved above the relocated instrument menu.
  • The save button was moved with the sequencer title.
  • The key sources were switched from a CSS background element to an image (to show a gradient) and the font for the notes has changed. For the same reason as the Mecha font, i saw a new font called "Prototype" that turned out really well! However, it's completely subjective and I think it'll be more iffy with the community.

The New Instruments:
Not all of the instruments were actually played in the video. However, a recording of all 16 new instruments can be heard here!

Church Organ
Electric Drums (courtesy JHXC), and this one (thanks to JHXC)
Flute
Jazz Guitar
Koto
Music Box
Muted Electric Guitar
Pizzicato
Pop Synth
Ragtime Piano
Saxaphone
Sitar
Slap Bass
Steel Drums
Synth Bass
Vibraphone

So, what do you think? Should this update happen? Let me know in the thread.

Happy Sequencing!  Smile
Do it. It seems really awesome.
Noice.
A w e s o m e
Yesssssss the drums too and the old e guitar and all the good stuff!
i'd love new instruments, but i would prefer sustained notes for all instruments rather than just the 8bits. i feel like that should be os's #1 priority
wheres LP

In seriousness though, I just remembered that we could add one of those '80s Electric Pianos instead of the fake EP we have now. I wouldn't know how it would be labeled as, but I feel it might cater to some more people who are in ye old times like me. https://youtu.be/3qxsQchwfm0?t=22s
I do think it should be implemented, and I would be extremely happy if it was, but I also enjoy the simplicity of the current site and how it forces you to be creative to try to make the sound that you want. (if it is implemented, Bass Drum would be so awesome)
Here are the final instruments to be added! This brings our total to forty instruments, which is plenty enough for a while.
Channel you inner rapper, metalhead, or retro composer with these final four instruments:

808 Bass
808 Drums
Distortion Guitar
8-Bit Drums

Now that the instruments are finished up, we're setting our sights on other parts of Online Sequencer.
Also, I've been working on a button that turns the rarely used sidebar into the chat for easy composing while keeping up with whatever is happening in the chat.
Pages: 1 2