Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Explain your composition style(s)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The best way to understand your own music and the general overview of how it is made is to look at it as if someone else made your music. However, the problem with me is that I have a bunch of composition styles, or at least I think I do. That's why in the introduction to this thread, I'll separate the sequences I want to feature in different categories. Also, most of these styles are a result of me improving myself in terms of composition, and not a simple change of attitude toward composing music. But what each song has in common is that I don't plan them out. Usually I'll place a few random notes until I feel like they sound good. For me, this works really well, but it does have the drawback of some songs having a seemingly erratic pattern or sub-par progression.

Note: If a song may seem out of place, it's because it has parts of the song that contain more than one type of style. Listen to more of the song until you find it. The style's there!

With that, here's my first styles which I call the "repeating chords," and "4-step."
Back in 2015-2016, I had a limited experience using low notes in my songs. So, to achieve a good song with low notes, I placed one, two chords and composed the higher notes after. The result can be a repetitive song until one changes the chords and a difficulty progressing from the set of chords to a new set. When there is some progression, it can sound awkward at times. Songs under both of these types have a common characteristic where there is a pause between parts of the song where there is a different chord progression. The same thing went with the "4-step" style, which I picked in yet another effort to figure out a way to make a song seem less empty.
Repeating Chords songs:

4-step songs:
Notice how in most of these 4-steps, one of the notes (usually the second) is repeated again. The reason that was common was because I didn't know where else that note would go. I still use this technique sometimes, but much less often than I usually do. Either that, or another note is put an octave up.

My next style is the "repeating arpeggio."
I made it a little further in terms of learning what notes go where, but I stopped. This is still a common style for me and I do refer to it much more often than I need to. However, I'm beginning to stray away from the style as I experiment with more ways to make a song. (The first song in in this listing also applies to the "4-step" category, too. The arpeggios start at bar 25.) However, a lot of the newer songs I made have more varied repeating arpeggios.
Repeating Arpeggio songs:

In the complete opposite direction, is the "octave-octave down," or "note-note down."
This is characterized easily by a 2-note base line where it starts with one note, then the same note an octave lower. Previous styles didn't work for slow songs. My reasoning? I think it has something to do with giving more tones for the brain to process, giving it a murky sound. With a "note-note down" style, that wouldn't happen. It also gave me an opportunity as a composer to place more notes in the lead section and have them sound good. It makes an easy listening song.
Note-note down songs:

These are the styles I can look back on and categorize with confidence. I'm sure by the time we've reached a million sequences, I'll be able to look again and put a style on the songs I made. What styles of composition do you have?
I normally start with a single melody (sometimes a melody that I make myself, other times - if I'm making a cover or arrangement of another song - a melody I've heard before).

Note Separation
I personally like to separate the melody notes from the bass/lower notes (I mentally prefer to think of the melody notes as "right hand notes" and the lower notes as "left hand notes").

Musical Form
Most of the time, (especially when I am composing my own song) I tend to compose just one or two measures/portions that I think go well, and then I repeat that musical phrase. Then, I try to brainstorm another musical phrase that varies from the first two (this is the musical form A A B).

Ending the Song
From there, I will sometimes try to go back to phrase "A," and come up with an ending to the song (usually by making thicker chords and ending with a broken chord that goes up to the final root note of the key I'm using) - but it does vary from song to song.

Extra Stuff
Then, I go back through the song - listen to it a couple of times. Sometimes I will re-adjust certain "left-hand" chords. But mainly, I will look for places where I can do one of two things:
1. Double the melody up an octave using a different voice... or
2. Add a countermelody using another voice
A lot of the time, I will use an 8-bit sound as a countermelody (again, it depends on the style of the piece, and can vary from song to song).
Sometimes, I will find myself adding the "extra stuff" before I make the second iteration of the musical phrase "A" again. I will copy the phrase, paste it, and the second time the phrase plays, I will add the extra countermelody or doubled notes.

Percussion
I will also oftentimes here add percussion. I don't normally use percussion, but when I do, I add it just after I've composed the main melody. This is important, especially for me, so that I can easily make a percussion sequence, and then copy it so that I can easily loop it over and over. I do that, then test it to make sure it is what I want it to be, and add extra percussive notes (e.g. symbols) where/when necessary.

Lower Notes / "LH" Style
My lower notes (or "left hand" notes) will vary from song to song. But, if I am making a cheerful, or sort-of "carnival"-like tune, I will use a pattern in which I hit the root note of the key I'm using, and then on the second beat, I will hit the Mediant and Dominant notes of the key. It's somewhat hard to explain, but I've used it in many pieces, and it has a sort of "cutesy" feel.
You can see a pattern similar to this in my piece titled [url=]"Short N' Sweet"[/url].

Other lower note patterns that I've used include just chords that play over and over again, and also, for more pieces that are more serious or dark in mood, I will use broken chords (and of course, darker pieces will most likely be in minor keys, and their chords will be minor). To add to this, much of the time I will find patterns in which I can play the broken-chord notes that fit well with the melody.
For example, my piece [url=]"8-bit Lullaby"[/url] uses the 8-bit sine-wave sound for the lower notes, and they play a broken chord in a very specific pattern. You can hear that pattern (delete the triangle wave notes if you want to see the sine-wave notes under them).

Anything else?
Sometimes, I also like to add other subtle notes that might go in-between the top and bottom notes. I might use softer sounding instruments, like the Concert Harp (again - my choice of instrument will vary depending on the style of the piece).

Finishing
This is where I finish up, name the piece appropriately, and then save it.
That's it!

I hope that maybe you find this useful.
But remember! - MY COMPOSITIONS ARE ACTUALLY PRETTY "BAD" COMPARED TO MOST OTHER USERS HERE!
SO PLEASE TAKE MY IDEAS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT!
Thank you!
All good songs have four repeating chords. Just turn on the radio.
I usually like to chronicle my style changes through using the first digit of sequences, since a substantial amount of time passes per hundred thousand sequences. 600k would refer to my sequences  to . There will be sequences that will stray away from the category they're supposed to be in, but still comply to the general style that generation has. (Or that the first version of the sequence has been made in the generation it's labeled as)

Static Arpeggios

600k-present

work in progress post kms
Ill reserve this too. ill explain mine when i have a firm style that I can explain. I personally just go with the flow. what ever sounds good i try to work with.
Whenever I cook up a nice melody and happen to have the time to put it down on OS, it never goes exactly the way it goes on my head due to the lack of instruments and me forgetting large chunks of them almost instantly. Planning out how I'm going to make the song generally never works either. My music-making process is not very structured at all, and I think it works for me. Having too detailed of a plan or process in which I make music makes me feel limited and restricted, so basically, anything goes.

I usually start with the main melody, typically the chorus since having a chorus idea in mind makes it easier for me to make the intro, build up, and of course, it's easier for me to remember a chorus because they are typically the most memorable part of a song. Next up is usually the drums. I have the most fun doing the percussion because it's one of the very few instruments I'm confident in using, and then the rest of the song comes to life as ideas come and go.

My goal for every big sequence I work on is for them to be my next best song, and that in itself has it's own criteria:

1. I can listen to it for hours straight without getting sick of it.

2. I am satisfied with the result.

3. Given the multiple ways to go around OS' limitations, make the sequence sound as professional as I can.

4. Make it catchy and memorable.

5. Nail the vibe I'm trying to go for.

Aside from my songs being notoriously laggy for a lot of people due to the high note density, along with being percussion-heavy, my style is generally heavily inspired by Japanese music. This includes JRPGs, anime, artcore, rhythm game music, and others. I also like using more than 4 instruments at once to compensate for being unable to make songs with fewer instruments, or solo piano.
I will do the standard create melody, most of the time but sometimes start with chords... II try to progress the song as much as I can before wanting to write a new song
(03-05-2018, 08:46 PM)HelpMe123Alt Wrote: [ -> ]All good songs have four repeating chords. Just turn on the radio.

No.

The radio...

No.

Take a look at the 6 chord repeating Free Bird, or just about anything from Dream Theater, Opeth or Symphony X. Not a lot of 4 chord repeats in 80's Metallica or any Death Metal songs either... Then we have Yes and ELP. 4 chords? Maybe 20? You'll find Awaken, Close to The Edge, Tarkus, Karn Evil 9, Etc. Are not 4 chord repeats and are far greater than anything I've heard on the radio.

Ultimate song though, is Tubular Bells

Pink Floyd has some great non 4 chordal songs too, if I remember well

Sorry if I seem rude or angry
reserved indeed
Here's a quick tip for beginners:
I like to make the drums/percussion notes in just the first measure (or in just one measure). That way, I can just copy and paste, and then edit them as needed for the next measure.
I also do this with bass lines and chords as well, but these notes specifically must be changed when I paste each time to fit the notes of the melody.
(I can also change the percussion at some points to add some variety to the song, but the actual musical notes are arguably more important to change, especially if the melody is constantly shifting through other keys/modes.)
Pages: 1 2