Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: The surprisingly practical way Jacob_ can implement custom instruments.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In forums like these, instaid of uploading an entire image, you link to an image that exists somewhere else. This saves space and is how HTML already works. My idea has a similar concept; what if you link to a pre-existing .ogg file instaid of uploading your own? This is the easy way to create FULLY SERVER SIDE (OOF) custom instruments. I have already made a Proof of Concept! It requires some manual labor, but not much. It is fully customizable, too.

(Song is IP owned by Minecraft, calm4.ogg)
(Will test later if this works with other extensions, too lazy rn.)
What I did for this tech demo is modify the song.settings variable. Currently wasted potential, song.settings only contains one object, instruments, which contains all the volume settings and what-not. This is the JSON stringification of MY song.settings:
Code:
{"instruments":{"0":{"volume":1,"delay":false,"reverb":true}},"sounds":{"0":"https://d1u5p3l4wpay3k.cloudfront.net/minecraft_gamepedia/4/48/Calm4.ogg"},"code":{"main":"$.each(song.settings.sounds,function(id){var request=new XMLHttpRequest();request.open(song.settings.code.str[0],song.settings.sounds[id],!0);request.responseType=song.settings.code.str[1];request.onload=function(){audioSystem.audioContext.decodeAudioData(request.response,function(x){audioSystem.sounds[id]=x})};request.send()})","str":["GET","arraybuffer"]}}
As you can see, I loaded the instrument directly from the source! (Also, the server ignores ' and hates " so I had to work around.) No uploading stuff to the sequencer and all that nonsense! This could actually be easily implemented. To make up for a probable lack of good UI, he can say it is in beta. He would also want to add the loading bar, which would be easy, just code reuse. If I am really feeling it, I will learn how to make a chrome extension for this if Jacob_ does not make this a thing. If I forgot to say something important, you probably won't know. Other than that, bye. Oh wait, there is something important! One instrument is represented by one huge sound file with all the samples, so to actually do this properly, you would need to do all of that and upload it to google docs or something. If Jacob_ does this, he might want to make an "OS Soundfont" creator.