Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Sosasees' Tutorial on How to Use OnlineSequencer To Make Music
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: 001_orig.png]

These are the Basics of making Music with OnlineSequencer.
So, let's Start with the most Important Parts and work our way to the less important parts (that are still important)

1. What Parts of the User Interface are not needed to make Music?

The Greyed-out Areas are not needed for Music Composing:
[Image: 004_1_orig.png]
If you want to get rid of the Non-Important Parts of the User Interface, visit
https://onlinesequencer.net/app/sequence...ame=1&id=0
If you want to Edit a existing Song in this Fullscreen-Mode, just Replace the
in the
&id=0
Part of the URL with the Song ID (e.g.
)

2. How to place Notes

The first Thing you need to know is, how to Place Notes.
Please first make sure, that the ,,Draw'' Tool is selected:
[Image: 003_2_orig.png]
It should be selected by Default, if you open OnlineSequencer.

Then, you can just Click to Place Notes:
[Image: 005_1_orig.png]

3. How to Erase Notes

If you made a Mistake, you can Switch to the Erase Tool [Image: 006_orig.png], or just right-Click the Notes you want to Erase.

4. Play your Song:

Just hit the Play Button or Press Spacebar:
[Image: 009_orig.png]

5. Save your Song:

Remember: OnlineSequencer does NOT Auto-Save your Songs.
You can Upload your Song to OnlineSequencer by just clicking ,,Save'':
[Image: 007_orig.png]
But if you are not logged in as a Member, you cannot delete your Song anymore, and it's Uploaded forever on OnlineSequencer.
But if you do log in as a Member, all Songs you Upload are listed in your Profile, and you can Delete them, if you really want (But that cannot be Undone once it's done).
But if you Save one your Songs again as a logged-In Member, it will be overwritten. I'll explain later how to save an Edit of one of your existing Songs as a new Song.

You have read the most Important Information. Below is more Important Information. It's not as important as everything above, but it's still important. Come back when you're ready.

6. More Save Options

Sorry, but the more Save Options don't seem to work for me,
so I can't tell you, what ,,Save a Copy'' is, because I don't already know.
But I can tell you, what the other two are:
,,Save local file'' saves your Song not as a Song, but as Song Data in Form of a simple TXT-File. This TXT-File can later be dragged and dropped into OnlineSequencer's Music Editing Tool, in order to Load it. This way, you can save your Songs on your Hard Drive without making them public.
And ,,Export MIDI'' of course, exports your Song as a MIDI File that can be played and/or edited with Software, that Supports MIDI Files.

7. Select Tool

[Image: 010_orig.png]
With the Select Tool, you can Select Parts of your Song by clicking and dragging in order to create a Box.
When you get the Mouse Button up, Parts of your Song are selected.
If you want to Select more than you already Selected, Hold Shift while Selecting.

8. Copy and Paste

You can Copy Selected Parts of your Song by using the Copy Tool or pressing Ctrl and C, and paste them by using the paste Tool or pressing Ctrl and V. You can also paste Parts from one Sequence to another.

9. Play your Song from a specific Point.

Use the ,,Play from here'' Tool or the Middle Mouse Button

10. Save without overwriting.

Copying and Pasting comes in handy, not only if you want to compose Songs faster,
but also if you want to Save an Edit of one of your existing Sequences as a new Sequence.
If you are not logged in, your Sequences will always be saved as new Sequences, no matter what,
but if you are logged in as a Member, your Songs will be overwritten, if you edit them and then save them again.
This often comes in Handy, but sometimes you want to save an Edit of one of your Songs as a new Song.
Then, select the entire Song with the ,,Select All'' Tool or by pressing Ctrl and A, Copy it,
and then paste it in a new OnlineSequencer Tab using Ctrl and V (not the paste Tool).
If you save the Pasted Song, it'll be saved as a new one. Just make sure you're saving the pasted Copy, not accidentally the Original.

11. Name your Song

Of course, not every Song should be named ,,Untitled''. This is not Practical, especially in the long run. So please always change the Title:
[Image: 012_orig.png]

12. Using Different Instruments

Eventually, you'll need more Instruments than just the Electric Piano.
This is, why OnlineSequencer has one (or two) Dropdown-Menus for selecting Instruments:
[Image: 011_orig.png]
From there, you can select every available Instrument OnlineSequencer has.
If you place Notes, thye'll come with the selected Instrument.
If you've selected Notes and then select a Instrument, the Instruments of the selected Notes will be changed to your selected Instrument.

Now you've read through everything important. I'm pretty sure you'll find out the more advanced stuff yourself.
I also recommend you to read these Articles:
10 Beginner Mistakes you should avoid
Guest's Tutorial on Music Composition
I hope they are useful, too.
Good News:
All Images are now available. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
This is actually relatively professional and very informational, I vote for this to be the new tutorial.
(07-30-2018, 10:06 PM)Frank Wrote: [ -> ]This is actually relatively professional and very informational, I vote for this to be the new tutorial.

As do I!