Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Sharps and flats
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can you add a toggle to switch the sharp notes to display as flats and vice versa?
Is there a difference? It would help if the people running this site knew about music theory Tounge
To quote reddit

Quote:Say you want to write something in F major. If we just use sharps, we get the notes:
F G A A♯ C D E
But why are there two A's? Why is there no B? Isn't that pretty awkward?

C# and Db are the same notes, but certain keys notate with sharps and others flats to avoid awkwardness. Maybe you can have it switch automatically depending on the key that gets auto-detected.

It would be helpful for someone like me who is trying to learn some music theory using this website Smile
To me A and A# are two distinct identifiers, and Db shouldn't exist, lol.
It is more of a problem when dealing with written notation, but musicians still call the same note different things depending on the context, because the function of a note can change depending on the context. The notes are the same, but not really. Kind of like spaces and tabs Tounge

More info
Unfortunately, a lot of the names are hard-coded. Notes even internally store their value as something like "A5", which I always found a bit silly. However, with a lot of work, Jaocb_ could probably do it.

EDIT: It just occurred to me the percussion change the values though, lemme see if that can be abused.
EDIT 2: Nope, Jacob_ could totally do this. I could, even. This is a line of code in the program:
Code:
//https://onlinesequencer.net/app/sequencer.js
if (instrument == 2 || instrument == 31) {
        keyTextElements[i].innerHTML = settings['percussion'][i - 8];
      } else {
        keyTextElements[i].innerHTML = piano[i];
      }