Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Event Launch: Monthly Contests
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: avatar_2740.png?dateline=1534443788] Hello Online Sequencer! It’s me, Kirbyderp, and I (with the rest of the committee) are very excited to announce the first of the events we have planned. We will be hosting official contests for Online Sequencer each month, each with their own theme, until the end of this year!

This will be a beta test to determine whether or not it will be worth continuing regular contests for next year, therefore I would highly recommend participating if you would like to support OS.

This announcement is mostly about general contest information, rules, and prizes (yes, prizes!)

So without further ado, here are the guidelines of this recurring event!

General Information

The contest will begin on the 1st and end on the 21st (11:59 PM EST) each month, giving you 3 weeks to make your entries.

When the theme is announced at the start of each competition, committee members will make comments on what the month’s theme means to them and provide an example sequence relating to their comment.

These example sequences will possibly demonstrate something you’ve never tried before, so feel free to use these tricks in your own way to help your sequence out!

General Notes For Monthly Contests
  • Entry limit of 2 sequences per person.
  • Committee members are allowed to enter the contests, but will not enter their example sequence nor will they vote for their own entry.

• Sequences made prior to the current Monthly Contest are allowed, although we don’t recommend entering the same sequence in different Monthly Contests.

• Making a remix of an existing song is allowed. Please make it as creative as possible while applying the contest’s theme.
  • The standard Online Sequencer Rules will apply and any entries violating a rule will automatically be disqualified.
  • Editing an entry after the entry period is strictly prohibited and will result in that entry being disqualified.

Winning Information

Winners of the monthly contests will be decided by the Event Committee members. The staff will vote for three entries that they think best fits the theme of the contest. Judgement will take place on the last week of the month after the submission period has concluded.

Depending on placement, winners will receive leaderboard points that will contribute towards a grand total at the end of the year.

The amount of points earned are as followed:

1st Place Winner - 5 OS Points

2nd Place Winner - 4 OS Points

3rd Place Winner - 3 OS Points

Honorable Mention - 1 OS Point

However, the number of winners announced is directly related to the number of sequences entered (to make it so that it's fairer towards those who won against a large number of opponents). A list of the number of winners that will be announced depending on the number of entries is below:

1-4 Entries - No winners announced

5-8 Entries - 1 winner announced

9-12 Entries - 2 winners announced

13+ Entries - 3 winners announced

The winners of the monthly contests will be announced either on a special date related to the month, or at the end of that month.
Staying consistent in Monthly Contests will help you improve your composition skills and earn more OS points! 

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! This post will change from time to time.

What are the points for? Access to special instruments or something? If they're just for bragging rights that's okay with me too.
They are leaderboard points earned every month that are counted towards the final score at the end of the year. I did not intend for them to be used as currency or being able to unlock features of the site, but it may be taken into consideration depending on how popular these events become.
first of all... REEEE YOU STYOLE MY IDEAA!!

nah, idctbh. anyway, from past experience some condescending advice would be to hype this up as much as posbible, after all this is a month long event and it'd suck if it was just blank for a while. the world contest was really hyped but still had a lot of empty/wasted time in it i think. another thing is to be sort of picky with your staff members, but get a lot too. when i did my last contest i had like 12 people ask me to be judge, then maybe 6 or 7 got back to me when it came time to actually judge, and then the next month there was 1 or 2 left so the contest died.

anyway, this seems more thought out than mine, has decent (seemingly pointless atm) prizes, and probably a better staff so i think/hope itll do well. itd be exciting if this works, and inspires people to imrpove more and more and more and become the best they can be. full support  Smile
Well one thing different about this contest is next year, there is a possibility of merch for the winner.
(09-18-2018, 12:02 AM)Jonah Wrote: [ -> ]first of all... REEEE YOU STYOLE MY IDEAA!!

nah, idctbh. anyway, from past experience some condescending advice would be to hype this up as much as posbible, after all this is a month long event and it'd suck if it was just blank for a while. the world contest was really hyped but still had a lot of empty/wasted time in it i think. another thing is to be sort of picky with your staff members, but get a lot too. when i did my last contest i had like 12 people ask me to be judge, then maybe 6 or 7 got back to me when it came time to actually judge, and then the next month there was 1 or 2 left so the contest died.

anyway, this seems more thought out than mine, has decent (seemingly pointless atm) prizes, and probably a better staff so i think/hope itll do well. itd be exciting if this works, and inspires people to imrpove more and more and more and become the best they can be. full support  Smile

Hey, if you have any prize ideas, then I'm all ears.
(09-18-2018, 12:02 AM)Jonah Wrote: [ -> ]first of all... REEEE YOU STYOLE MY IDEAA!!

The World Contest was mainly hyped because it actually got a factor to drive the community to participate.

I can understand that there has been a lot of wasted time because someone actually promised prizes he couldn't give, plus the fact it took a fairly long time for each part of that contest in general. As much as possible I would like to avoid doing that so I want to inform users whenever possible.

The staff is currently recruited through myself only. Generally, I think I have a specific and high-standard criteria I go by, but I want to make sure plenty of people can join too. These are the minimum requirements for members to join, as well as the fact that these are people I know who come here everyday. Thank you for mentioning this!

We originally planned on delivering IRL OS-themed goodies as prizes, but for whatever reason one of our staff members dropped out last second of posting this. We hope we can get a supplier sometime before December.

I would like to increase site activity through these events, therefore I hope this goes well too! Thank you for supporting us!
(09-18-2018, 03:17 AM)Kirbyderp Wrote: [ -> ]

Hey, if you have any prize ideas, then I'm all ears.

Sorry, not sure if you can tell by the grammar/spelling (or lack thereof), but I was not in a great state of mind last night. Wasn't trying to bash the prizes, I actually said they're decent which is not something I would say about most contests on this site. Anyway, the prize seems even more intriguing with the chance of merch being brought to my attention. 
Based on my current understanding of the contest, I'll say I'd probably enter the contest most months for fun but I won't bank on their being merch as a prize, though I'm sure you guys will figure something out regardless of whether or not your original plan works out.
this is my second entry, which is an original piece.

I tried very hard on making this sound fall like, which I think to be flowing, but still have a crisp feel to it.
(11-13-2018, 02:01 PM)LANCWER Wrote: [ -> ]this is my second entry, which is an original piece.

I tried very hard on making this sound fall like, which I think to be flowing, but still have a crisp feel to it.

Wrong thread.