Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Oct. 2018 Monthly Contest - Halloween
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
[Image: oct2018.png]

[Image: avatar_2740.png?dateline=1534443788] Hello Online Sequencer! It’s finally time to announce the first monthly contest theme for the beta contests!

As tradition for anything in the month of Halloween, this month’s theme will be spooky! Give us sequences that really put a chill down your spine.

General Information

The entry period is from 10/1 ~ 10/21 (11:59 PM EST). Winners will be announced on 10/31!

While we will post general notes on every contest, please refer to the Monthly Contest announcement thread for more details on Monthly Contests themselves.
  • Entry limit of 2 sequences per person.
  • Committee members are allowed to enter the contests, but will not enter their example sequence nor will they vote for their own entry.

• Sequences made prior to the current Monthly Contest are allowed, although we don’t recommend entering the same sequence in different Monthly Contests.

• Making a remix of an existing song is allowed. Please make it as creative as possible while applying the contest’s theme.
  • The standard Online Sequencer Rules will apply and any entries violating a rule will automatically be disqualified.

Committee Notes
[Image: avatar_2740.png?dateline=1534443788] To me, spooky is all about the atmosphere of a song.

It just has to radiate fear from every note and beat. Granted, I’m not really good at that (yet), but I have come up with a couple neat tricks that can help.

Putting music box notes in really low octaves actually creates quite the spooky sound (although it’s slightly delayed, so you’d want to place the note about a beat before you want the actual sound to play).

The other is that you can make some very creepy chords out of a pseudo-spammed steel drum in the lower octaves as well. (Some rattling percussion also doesn’t hurt, but that’s often more specific to the type of spooky you’re going for.)

[Image: unknown.png]

Anyway, I combined those together into a short tidbit for you to hear. Who knows? You might get some good inspiration from it.

[Image: avatar_1632.png?dateline=1537691382] On the topic of ambient noise, you can make a smooth synth noise generator to give your sequences that messy horror atmosphere.

Randomly place 1/16 notes in a set area, then copy paste them as needed. Trim off the sides that don’t have as many notes in them.

[Image: unknown.png]

Make sure you set your Smooth Synth on a low volume, or else it will overwhelm everything else in your sequence!

As a disclaimer, you can use your Smooth Synth as a normal instrument, but be careful about making them too quiet. Stacking notes may help here!

Good luck with the contest guys! I have yet to see what kinds of sequences you make from these.

Ok, it's not that good, but it's the best I have right now
how do I enter? can I just post my song on the forum?

Sorry, i'm a bit new to this...
(10-01-2018, 10:38 AM)JeyWulf2 Wrote: [ -> ]how do I enter? can I just post my song on the forum?

Sorry, i'm a bit new to this...

Just post your song to this thread. It just has to be as spooky-sounding as possible to win. :D

merp. my beauty (I composed dhis).
Entry 1
I think if someone covers echoes, it should win.

The full song.

Pink Floyd is awesome
What kind of spooky are we going for with this exactly? IE are we going for scary spooky or classical spooky, in other words, skinless bone demons and hellish choirs OR witches and mummies and what not
(10-01-2018, 03:01 PM)Falkur Wrote: [ -> ]What kind of spooky are we going for with this exactly? IE are we going for scary spooky or classical spooky, in other words, skinless bone demons and hellish choirs  OR witches and mummies and what not

Whatever kinds of spooky come up to mind for you. You can use everything you just described as the theme of your sequence.

We'll have a completely different Halloween theme next year though, for clarification. It's the more lighthearted trick-or-treating kind of mood. This year is just whatever shouts "fear" to your listeners.

I hope this clears up some things. If not, feel free to find me on chat.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5