Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Auto-scroll problem in chat box
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The chat box automatically scrolls to the bottom whenever somebody sends a message to it. It is a great inconvenience if I am reading previous messages higher up in the box and then the auto-scroll happens, which thus prevents me from reading the particular message. The issue is not so bad if somebody is sending a message once per half-minute; it is troublesome when people are consecutively sending messages. If I hold the scroll bar at the place where I want to read message, I can keep my place where I want to read; the auto-scroll still happens, but in about 0.2 of a second I go back to my held place (thankfully and fortunately), until somebody sends another message, and then this scenario repeats. This problem is not a bug, but it is troublesome nonetheless. Here is my proposed solution (ahem): include a check-box in the chat-box; this check-box would alternately enable and disable the auto-scroll feature. Simple. The auto-scroll feature is nice and useful, until I need to read previous chats in the chat-box (though I could look through chat logs, though I need to refresh the page to see new messages, and then I would need to switch to the chat-box to send a message, and then go back to the chat logs if need be, etc. etc.). The requested feature is needfully useful during high chat usage; otherwise, not so much. I would really like this feature to be added.
This is actually something I care about pls fix
i third this notion
I also agree with this.
(01-30-2019, 08:29 AM)Void Wrote: [ -> ]I have a fix for this (Thank Jacob_) but you have to manually do it since I am a noob when it comes to changing stuff with extensions like TamperMonkey.
Here's how you do it:

Go to Inspect Element -> Sources -> Look down and see "chat_frame.php" -> Go to it and press "onlinesequencer.net" -> forum -> jscripts -> ajaxchat.js?blabla -> Scroll down til you see this line of code:
"         window.setTimeout(function() {
table.scrollTop = table.scrollHeight + 10000;
}, 100); "

Remove that and press Ctrl+S to save the file.

This solution works only for the selected browser tab/window. The problem persists if you open OS.net in a new tab/window. The temporary solution is good nonetheless. Well done, Void.
maybe I'll do this later but not now