Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: A List of Ideas for OS Changes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, OS Forums, and welcome to... "my list".

This post is just a list of all my suggestions for changes to Online Sequencer. I'll also include others' as well, if I feel like adding them. If I've already made a post about something listed here, I'll try to link it with the bullet point. Same goes for other people's posts who I feel like adding to the list, if I can. (Hopefully that made sense)
NOTE: I'll be updating this over time. If something is implemented into OS, I'll probably change or remove things from the list. If I find out that something I listed is already a thing, I'll be sure to take it off.

So, ladies and gentlemen, behold - the power of free speech.

FEATURES
ADD:
- Upvote/Downvote rating system for sequences
- Sequence descriptions
- Tags for sequences. It would make it a lot easier to find certain charts.
- Let us follow other users/add a feed for people who you follow.
- Constant option for Auto Scroll (View original post)
- Fullscreen mode/Recording mode. This would be great for making videos to upload to YouTube.
CHANGE:
- Set the default BPM to 120. It's the average tempo for most songs, and it's a lot more exact anyway, compared to 110.
- When loading a sequence, let us use smaller option-type tools without entering edit mode. I don't want to have to go into editing mode just to adjust the zoom or toggle fast graphics or something.
REMOVE:
- Get rid of the big play button that you see when you open the page for a song. It takes up almost the entire screen and I find it annoying that I have to start the song just to immediately stop it before I'm able to do anything else.

INSTRUMENTS
ADD:
- Accordion instrument. There are a lot of good songs that primarily use an accordion (e.g. Kass' theme from BotW, Funiculi Funicula/Pizza theme from Spider-Man 2 PS2, etc.) and it'd be really fun to make covers of songs like those. Not to mention making covers of other songs as well. (View original post)
- Recorder instrument, because why not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
CHANGE:
- Add the hidden instruments to the main list. (I get why it is that it might take some time to get them ready to incorporate them into the main list. I was thinking maybe they could be included somewhere and listed as beta instruments, maybe in their own category at the bottom.)
- Make the "Show options" tab more organized. It feels kinda messy compared to the main instrument selection dropdown, so I'd just organize them into columns by category, maybe as a scrolling list if need be/if possible.
- Let note stacking influence 8-bit instruments. (View original post)
- I get that it's easier to use system-generated sounds (for a lack of better words) as opposed to pre-recorded sounds for 8-bit instruments, and it makes them more capable of holding sustains for much longer, but maybe using pre-recorded sounds might be worth a shot. It could fix some minor bugs, like 8-bit chords resulting in the wrong note playing or sometimes not at all.

CHAT
ADD:
- Delete your own messages
- Edit your own messages
- Tag/"Ping" other users directly (Idk if this is a thing already, so I'll probably remove this if I find out it is)
- I'd like to see a way to make it easier to get more info about message formatting. My idea? I'm thinking... something like a small square button between the message textbox and the "Send" button. Like, a little info icon where hovering over it will show a little thing of text right above it that says something like, "Formatting info" or whatever (kinda like when you hover over the thumbnail of a sequence and it shows the title), and clicking on it opens a page that'll tell you more about how to format your messages.
CHANGE:
- What if we could adjust the dimensions of the chat? I've seen other sites do this with general chats, and it worked out pretty well for them. I personally think this is worth trying, since I can see it working for OS. Unless it's just not possible, then RIP I guess. Oh well.
REMOVE:
- This could just be me, but it feels kinda annoying when people start typing messages in really massive font sizes in chat. It just feels...spammy to me, and there's not much reason for this formatting feature to stay. But if you're wondering, "What if I want to grab somebody's attention at a glance?" Well, no worries. There will always be alternative solutions to this. Like writing in bold, for example.

Well, that's enough from me for now. If there are any other ideas that any of you have, let me know. I'll think about adding them to the list.
I might add more sections to the list later, might not. I dunno.

Anyway, thank you all for reading this sub-neanderthal-IQ-tier post. This has been the power of free speech.
As a long time OS user, i can answer most of these. THIS IS ALSO FREE SPEECH.

INSTRUMENTS
ADD:
"- Accordion instrument (View original post)"
Adding instruments is quite a hassle. you need to get samples and stuff which takes time. Also who the heck needs an accordion.

"- Recorder instrument"
Same as above.

CHANGE:
"- Add the hidden instruments to the main list."
The reason why they are hidden is because they are still under the beta phase. They are not ready for full use. Why people use it, IDK.

"- Make the "Show options" dropdown more organized. It feels kinda messy compared to the main instrument selection dropdown."
The Drop Down menu is already pretty organized considering. It is similar to a regular DAW and unless you can provide an actual idea on how to "organize" it better, i dont think this is really valid.

"- Let note stacking influence 8-bit instruments. (View original post)"
Unlike all the other instruments, the 8-bit sounds aren't actually using samples but generating the sounds within your browser. Its easier to layer samples then to make a whole new code just for 8-bits.

FEATURES
ADD:
"- Upvote/Downvote rating system for sequences"
Coming soon I think.

"- Sequence descriptions"
Just use Comments

"- Tags for sequences"
This i kinda agree with this.

"- Let us follow other users/add a feed for people who you follow."
Agreed.

"- Constant option for Auto Scroll (View original post)"
No Comment

- Fullscreen mode/Recording mode. This would be great for making videos to upload to YouTube.
Fullscreen OS already exists. Just save the local file and import it. https://onlinesequencer.net/app/sequence...ame=1&id=0

CHANGE:
"- Set the default BPM to 120 already."
Just because you use 120 more often doesn't mean the rest of us does.

"- When loading a sequence, let us use smaller option-type tools without entering edit mode. I don't want to have to go into editing mode just to adjust the zoom or toggle fast graphics or something."
That was put there so that we could have a comment bar at first. Also where the rating system would go. It does have its purpose.

REMOVE:
"- Get rid of the big play button that you see when you open the page for a song. It takes up almost the entire screen and I find it annoying that I have to start the song just to immediately stop it before I'm able to do anything else."
No comment.
(04-11-2019, 05:36 PM)Alex! Wrote: [ -> ]"- Set the default BPM to 120 already."
Just because you use 120 more often doesn't mean the rest of us does.

It's not because I use 120 BPM frequently. It's because it's more logical to default to 120 in general. It's more exact, for one thing. For another, it's the same default used by many other programs. I think we should follow that "tradition".
And for the record, you can't speak on behalf of everyone else, either. I wasn't trying to speak for everyone myself, and it is common decency to assume nobody should be spoken for if they can speak for themselves.