Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: 2019 May Monthly Contest
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
[Image: avatar_2740.png?dateline=1556629097] Hello Online Sequencer! It's time to announce the May Monthly Contest!

Summer's almost upon us, so let's cheer up and get ready to finally have some warm weather! This month's theme is to make some happy music!

General Information

The entry period is from 5/1 ~ 5/21 (11:59 PM EST). Winners will be announced on 5/31!

While we will post general notes on every contest, please refer to the Monthly Contest announcement thread for more details on Monthly Contests themselves.
  • Entry limit of 2 sequences per person.
  • Committee members are allowed to enter the contests, but will not enter their example sequence nor will they vote for their own entry.
  • Sequences made prior to the current Monthly Contest are allowed, although we don’t recommend entering the same sequence in different Monthly Contests.
  • Making a remix of an existing song is allowed.
  • The standard Online Sequencer Rules will apply and any entries violating a rule will automatically be disqualified.
  • Editing an entry after the entry period is strictly prohibited and will result in that entry being disqualified.

I’m excited to see what you all come up with! Good luck!

Committee Notes

[Image: avatar_22631.png?dateline=1553547955] Heyo guys. So when I think of happy music,

I think of things that make me happy like hanging with friends and jamming. So in this song, I did more acoustic instruments. I find that music box gives it a happy feeling. Major chords will also make your song happy and give it that cheery vibe. Piano left hand arpeggios sound really nice and bright.

But this is my interpretation. Happiness can be brought out in many ways. Let your’s shine through your piece and yeah. Anything can be cheery in a major chord progression. Be creative. Smile

i dont know if this is allowed, but here. ill make an original, too. later.
Happy little loop, made this a while ago. It's supposed to be like an upbeat song, probably something from the beach. It was originally supposed to be quirky, hence the Scifi synth, which works surprisingly well. The chords work pretty well tbh, and i like them a lot. The drums (especially the bongos) are probably my best yet, especially the improvised bong solo at the end with the flutes. I agree with alex, that major chords usually lead to happy songs, but you can't have only major chords if you want your song to go somewhere. Major chords typically dont want to go anywhere. More accurate advice, imo, would to be stick with the major scale, and to have primarily major chords, but have some minor chords in there so you can move from one chord to another. Also experiment with chord extensions, like 7ths or 9ths or 6ths. I find that (like with my entry) quirky can lead to happy. I hope this advice can help people out, but i doubt it since i have pretty elementary music theory knowledge. Hope you guys like it!

EDIT: I forgot to mention this, but swing can also add a little bounce to your music. It makes it feel like the music is moving. I know swing is a little hard to do in OS, but it can and has been done.
Entry 1

Entry 2
entry 1

I'm burnt out so i'm not starting a new piece right now, so here's this happy remix of a piece.
Presto is the obvious winner

If he participates
Also guys, would you consider old thrash, like Metal Militia and Stone Cold Crazy to be happy? Or are you looking more at baroque and "carnival music?"

So it will be finished soon, but it doesn't have a high chance of winning. It is happy though! Enjoy!
pee pee poo poo?
Help, I don't associate emotion to music!!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5