Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Time signatures
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to have the ability to change the time signature a song is played in. It would make writing several pieces easier. If possible, I would also want certain time signatures for certain parts of the song, i.e 5 measures of 5/2 then 3 measures of 9/8
9/8 is pretty easy. 5/2 is odd... Perhaps 5/4 would be easier to work with?

You shouldn't rely on the thick lines
You can't change the grid midway a song. However, using javascript you can set the grid to whatever (non-additive) time signature you want. I have posted how to do this somewhere on this forum, but I can't find it.

If you're just looking for some standard presets:
type grid=5/4 or grid=9/8 or whatever you want then reload the grid by zooming in then back out
Hey, fellow sequencers!

I came across this issue too, trying to do Beethoven's Pathetique sonata in C minor, the third movement is in 2/2 time, so I tried looking at this, and Fox, your strategy did not work for me. I have gotten very frustrated at this, and I really want to do the third movement of the Pathetique Sonata!!
Time sigs were added. 2/2 is no different from 4/4 or 4/8 really
You can do any time signature that has a 4 as the denominator. Eg for 7/4 you can type setTimeSig(7) in the JS console.

For time sigs with other denominators, just pretend they have a 4 denominator, eg instead of 9/8 do 9/4, and double the BPM. Since OS doesn't use actual music notation, it really doesn't make a difference.

You can't change the time sig in the middle of the song. This feature is not going to be added, because there's a ton of technical issues with trying to do that, and it's a super niche use case.