Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: 2019 November Monthly Contest
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
[Image: avatar_2740.png?dateline=1556629097] Hello Online Sequencer, it's that time of year again! Fall is in full effect, and it's time to announce the November Monthly Contest! Also, sorry about getting the announcement up later, I've been out of power all day. >:V

Let's keep calm as we wind down the rest of this year. This month's theme is Lofi/Chill Music!

General Information

The entry period is from 11/1 ~ 11/21 (11:59 PM EST) this time as it has started later. Winners will be announced on 11/30!

While we will post general notes on every contest, please refer to the Monthly Contest announcement thread for more details on Monthly Contests themselves.
  • Entry limit of 2 sequences per person.
  • Committee members are allowed to enter the contests, but will not enter their example sequence nor will they vote for their own entry.
  • Sequences made prior to the current Monthly Contest are allowed, although entering the same sequence in different Monthly Contests is not.
  • Making a remix of an existing song is allowed.
  • Editing an entry after the entry period is strictly prohibited and will result in that entry being disqualified.
  • Collaborations on entries are allowed, but any points that the piece might receive are divided up equally between the contributors.
  • The standard Online Sequencer Rules will apply and any entries violating a rule will automatically be disqualified.
I look forward to relaxing to what you guys come up with. Good luck to you all!

I have a song but it will have to wait. I WILL post it in this month's contest.
Is ambient stuff like Tangerine Dream, or smooth jazz/blues too far from the theme?
#

This month we've got Share This With Me, my first dive into lo-fi, I think this qualifies as lo-fi hip hop but I don't entirely know how the classifications work. Either way, had a lot of fun trying out a totally different style and making this and I hope you enjoy!

Normally I only do one entry a month but I got this one done pretty quick and really enjoyed making it, so perhaps I'll be back in this thread later  Wink

[Image: thumb_broke-my-heart-she-did-write-a-lo-...505390.png]
First submission:
Milky Way Chill
This one is my "chill" November entry
Needs a system with good bass.

I wanted to start with a sample that was just slightly too short to fit in a measure, something that skipped like a record.  Edited the first measures by hand in Notepad for custom timing.  I've tried that a few other times but I think I'm finally happy with the effect.  Tried for the hi-pass filter effect too.  Got some space-y sounds in here.  Tuned to CM to get melodious notes out of the 808 drums (see meas. 41).  Tons of instrument stacking for desired timbre. Lots of dynamic fades, including combined synth+low flute fade-ins on bass line.

Uploaded to Youtube if anyone has issues rendering it on OS.
https://youtu.be/hsq_sVHvJQ4

(Minor edits 11/5)
  • Making a remix of an existing song is allowed.
  • Collaborations on entries are allowed, but any points that the piece might receive are divided up equally between the contributors.
hmmm...

Didnt realize there was a lofi contest, oh no

Where does  fall on the Remix - Collab spectrum?

its an edit of by mino

CLARIFICATION: THIS IS NOT A SUBMISSION

just asking theoretically for now
(11-04-2019, 10:31 PM)EtherBot Wrote: [ -> ]Where does  fall on the Remix - Collab spectrum?

its an edit of by mino

Given that the original sequence is only 1 measure long and is just a smooth synth chord, with how much you've expanded upon it, I'd say that your sequence is practically an original piece.
South Florida Sundown
So the other entry is chill, this one's lofi.  Started with a catchy hook, then layered and textured... until it felt like sitting there watching the sun go down.  

Used that weird constructive interference you get when you accidentally drag a long sine note, intentionally, as vibrato.

Uploaded to YouTube in case anyone has difficulty playing via OS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoWlq3KLK74
Ok so i made a thing

Its pretty chill

Ether added in the harp thing idk if you want to count this as a collab.

Anther edit: I don't expect to place but this is probably my best ever. Please enjoy!
Pages: 1 2 3 4