Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: 5 things to watch out for on OS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here is a list of 5 things to watch out for on Online Sequencer.

Number 1: Alternate accounts.
When a user gets banned/muted, they may make an alternate account (Or alt for short) so they can still use the chat and Online Sequencer itself. This, of course, is evading a punishment. However, some people will get away with this. So if you suspect that someone is/ has an alt, report it to a moderator or admin, and they'll take care of it.

Number 2: Stolen Sequences.
Sometimes a user will take a sequence made by someone else, and will switch up a few things around and post it as their own. If you want to check if a sequence is a clone, go to the top bar, and see if it says "Inspired" or "Based" on. Please note that the user that stole the song will never usually put the name of the person they copied, let alone asked them.

Number 3: Trash talking.
This is something most common with troublesome users. They will often insult a sequence or the person themselves, mock a user/spam, and in worst case scenario, make death threats or trash talk in PMs. If you or another user is being harrassed in the chat, type !help, or if it is extremely serious, type !911. Note that misuse of the !911 command will result in a ban.

Number 4: Spammers.
This is very common, especially with users that have alternates. They will either A.) Spam a sentence or insult B.) Spam a sequence they made, or C.)
spam whisper people. If a user is spamming in chat, type !help to call a moderator to the chat. Note that misuse of !help may result in a mute/ban.

Number 5: Criticism.
It's gonna happen eventually, no matter what. Someone is going to think your sequence is bad, and they might talk bad about it. If this happens, just simply ignore it, as they most likely do not mean this at all. If this does hurt you in some way, talk with a moderator or admin.

Well, that's about it for the 5 things you need to watch out for.
hello, thank you for having common sense
lmfao
Everything looks good to me, except for one thing: "criticism..." That sounds kinda vague. How is it an issue when people say a song sucks? It's called giving an opinion. Sir Guy does it to me all the time. Ignoring and shutting down constructive criticism is a good way to never improve.

And sometimes, you need some harsh criticism to knock you out of your ego.

I understand destructive criticism, and I agree on that front, but you didn't make that distinction.

I just have an issue with you putting criticism of any kind on the same level as trash talking, and acting like it is a bad thing, when most of the time, as long as it's done in respect to the recipient, it's not.
I don't think you are bad at this JHXC, just not quite as amazing as I had hoped when I first started listening
Constructive criticism is something that ought to have its own discussion. It's perfectly acceptable to give IF you get permission first! OBVIOUSLY JHXC and SirGuy have rapport pre-existing where it's fine giving each other feedback but it's totally possible to scare off a newcomer by going in hard. I know this because I'm guilty of it. I scared people away from fanfic, I scared people away from webcomic feedback... I'm trying really hard to not scare people away from fantasy map feedback... and I wouldn't dare give anyone music feedback at this point in time.

If someone's just like "this is le suck" then yeah ignore, but if someone is like "next time you make a song, try to set up a drum pattern to a time signature first, and work the musical elements around the rhythm instead of just dropping in pretty sounding song bits wherever, and limit the instruments you set to reverb to muddy the sound up less. There's a button beside 'draw' for 'select' which will let you copy your drum pattern and paste it" they're probably trying to share with you knowledge that helped them get better and ignoring it because you think you know better will result in you not getting better quite as fast as you would if you opened up to receiving feedback.

But even better than that, you'd see that person could benefit from those tricks and make a thread of tricks, and share that link with them, or you might PM and ask, "hey, would you like feedback on your song, Ti? I listened to it and had a few ideas on how you could make your next song better."
(01-20-2020, 10:15 PM)Ti Wrote: [ -> ]Constructive criticism is something that ought to have its own discussion. It's perfectly acceptable to give IF you get permission first! OBVIOUSLY JHXC and SirGuy have rapport pre-existing where it's fine giving each other feedback but it's totally possible to scare off a newcomer by going in hard. I know this because I'm guilty of it. I scared people away from fanfic, I scared people away from webcomic feedback... I'm trying really hard to not scare people away from fantasy map feedback... and I wouldn't dare give anyone music feedback at this point in time.

If someone's just like "this is le suck" then yeah ignore, but if someone is like "next time you make a song, try to set up a drum pattern to a time signature first, and work the musical elements around the rhythm instead of just dropping in pretty sounding song bits wherever, and limit the instruments you set to reverb to muddy the sound up less. There's a button beside 'draw' for 'select' which will let you copy your drum pattern and paste it" they're probably trying to share with you knowledge that helped them get better and ignoring it because you think you know better will result in you not getting better quite as fast as you would if you opened up to receiving feedback.

But even better than that, you'd see that person could benefit from those tricks and make a thread of tricks, and share that link with them, or you might PM and ask, "hey, would you like feedback on your song, Ti? I listened to it and had a few ideas on how you could make your next song better."
Umm. No? lol. You should not need permission to criticize someone. Criticism is free speech and by disallowing it, you'd be censoring people. So I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on that front. While I do agree that asking someone if they're cool with something before doing it should be highly encouraged, it should not be disallowed or enforced. If someone gives respectful criticism, that is helpful and optimal. It is encouraged to do so, but not asking should also be perfectly fine as long as the criticism doesn't become harassment.
(08-20-2020, 12:43 PM)Guest Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-20-2020, 10:15 PM)Ti Wrote: [ -> ]Constructive criticism is something that ought to have its own discussion. It's perfectly acceptable to give IF you get permission first! OBVIOUSLY JHXC and SirGuy have rapport pre-existing where it's fine giving each other feedback but it's totally possible to scare off a newcomer by going in hard. I know this because I'm guilty of it. I scared people away from fanfic, I scared people away from webcomic feedback... I'm trying really hard to not scare people away from fantasy map feedback... and I wouldn't dare give anyone music feedback at this point in time.

Umm. No? lol. You should not need permission to criticize someone. Criticism is free speech and by disallowing it, you'd be censoring people. So I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on that front. While I do agree that asking someone if they're cool with something before doing it should be highly encouraged, it should not be disallowed or enforced. If someone gives respectful criticism, that is helpful and optimal. It is encouraged to do so, but not asking should also be perfectly fine as long as the criticism doesn't become harassment.

To add to this, I had a personal experience where the other person said that "criticism should only be given if I ask for it, and that it should be common sense to not give criticism at first glance" which I find kind of a bull mentality to have.

From this, learn that you cannot expect people to inhibit their opinions. Sometimes those opinions are innocent and mildly hurtful, sometimes they're destructive. And as Guest said, ideally criticism should be respectful. If it isn't respectful, I wouldn't go ahead as to turn it down immediately.

Consider the backgrounds of the people you're receiving disrespectful criticism from. Maybe they just don't like your style of music in general. Maybe there actually is something wonky, like a flaw in a drawing. Stuff like wonkiness doesn't go unwarranted and as small point-outs as they are, are more likely to be valid than they aren't.
you can also criticize a person by giving them a negative reputation, pointing out what they did wrong forcing the other person to improve

*just want to point out why reputation exists