Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: new user, first question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greetings,

So I found this site and it is really cool. I am not a musician but I do electronics. I am trying to
code "the house of the rising sun"  on an arduino board with the output going to a piezo electric buzzer.

I found that the sequencer has a 8 bit square wave "instrument" which is close to how the buzzer sounds.

Anyways, is their a way to get a 1/3 stanza instead of what is on the drop down. The song is in 3/4  which is 3 beats to a "stanza",
I forgot what the period is called,  and 1/4 of a beat per note.
No way to set the grid, but you can always just ignore the bar lines. I have to do this a lot as I often use less than common time signatures. You always can try a DAW app to program MIDI, and experiment with synths, CakeWalk is free. Good luck and have fun!
Yes, with 3/4th time there are 3 beats in one measure, and yeah, a note that is 1/4th beats in length is a quarter note.
Like Sir Guy said, there is currently no way to change the grid itself. This site isn't the most advanced out there, but it still is good!

With this kind of thing, its about fractions and math. I trust that you, as a programmer, can handle fractions.
In 3/4ths time, only 3 quarter notes will fit into one measure (or "stanza"), rather than the alternative which is 4/4ths time, that fits four quarter notes in a measure.

The thing is that these "measures" are kind of imaginary. I mean, don't get me wrong: According to any music teacher, and according to all music theory, measures are very real. But it is very easy to create a song that is in 3/4ths even though it is viewed in a grid that is sectioned in 4/4ths. The timing depends on where the down beats are. You can feel the downbeats the most easily out of all the beats in the song. They normally play when the first notes of the meldoy hit, and you can feel them as they are the first beat of each measure. A visual grid can help you, but it cannot tell you where to put the downbeat.

I hope this helps.
Good luck.
Here, I recommend you check out this sequence of it. It may help you. I've placed a metronome down toward the bottom (A#2 and A2), where the A#2 notes (bell sound) plays indicates each downbeat, and the A2 drum sound indicates the two other intermediary beats in the 3/4th measure.

Notice that there are a lot of ways you can arrange the drums, despite the fact that the A#2 bell sound doesn't always match up with the grid - (that is, despite the fact that the downbeat does not hit at every major grid line).

{Also, for extra extra information, the downbeat indicated by the drums does sometimes match up with the major grid lines, at a very specific frequency. In this version of the song, eight measures of the 3/4th drums can fit into exactly three measures of the 4/4th grid lines. But this is more than you need to know.}
Thank you very much for responding to my question and helping me out.   "measure" not stanza. I have to get the lingo down if
want anyone to understand my question.  

Stay safe !

Thanks again
(03-18-2020, 08:17 PM)Firebolt391d Wrote: [ -> ]Here, I recommend you check out this sequence of it. It may help you.
That is amazing. WOW !
(03-19-2020, 05:09 AM)noweare Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-18-2020, 08:17 PM)Firebolt391d Wrote: [ -> ]Here, I recommend you check out this sequence of it. It may help you.
That is amazing. WOW !

You stay safe as well.
I hope to see you around the site, there are always people in chat if you're ever bored.