Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Hosts Redirect
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am using the Windows hosts file to block websites, and it works, but it doesn't work when I try to redirect. How do I fix that?
> but it doesn't work when I try to redirect

what do you mean by this?
What I mean is I input an IP and then a domain and it should take me to that IP when I search the domain in my browser.

Example:

127.0.0.1 www.google.com

This would block Google but what I want to do is redirect it, so I type

69.13.37.420 www.fakeipaddress.com

This SHOULD redirect www.fakeipaddress.com to 69.13.37.420 but it doesn't (I am using a real IP address dont worry).

Any idea why? Could it be due to HTTPS?
sorry what
On a computer, a hosts file works before the DNS but it tells what IP addresses go to what domains
In college we did something with the hosts file. We gave ip addresses whatever name we wanted and then we went into the console and we pinged the computers by typing "ping <custom name>".

The only thing was that we did this in a computer lab, and the hosts that we re-named and pinged were all located within the same LAN.

I have no idea if you can do this with websites outside of your own LAN. Websites use DNS information to send their names to your browser. Before the modern Domain Name System, companies would have to register their ip address and domain name, and some third party company would compile the hosts files for people to download so that their computer could use the domain name rather than using the IP address.

Nowadays computers can automatically access host names through some other system.

What you're trying to do... I wouldn't know how to do it.