Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Hypothetical contest
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Notice: we now have the bare minimum number of people (3) to start this contest. I will probably start the contest on Friday, but I'll still wait for more people to join until then

List of participants:
  1. Stepson
  2. Fortysevens
  3. The FIAS
---

Warning: wall of text incoming

I'm seeing these contest threads, but I feel like they're a bit flawed. I've been tempted to host a contest myself with regard to the stuff below:

---

1. The current contests are a bit too rigged in favor of the person who can appeal to the OP's musical tastes (unintentionally or not)

Here is a possible solution: make the judges the contestants themselves, i.e. each contestant would have to listen and score each submission. This might be time consuming, but considering that this site is ded I don't think it's much of a concern at this point Cool

Additionally, song and score submissions would probably be anonymous so you can't nuke the song of that guy you think is a mofo
This can probably be handled through PMing the contest host

2. The whole "edit this premade song!" format kinda sucks

It just seems a bit constricting in terms of creativity. It'd be cool if there was some vague theme to go by instead. As a somewhat lackluster example, a possible theme would be like, "make this song sound sad" or some *****

---

tl;dr: online sequencer contest - DEMOCRACY and FREEDOM edition

ALSO post in this thread if you would participate in this because I want to gauge how many people would actually sign up. After all, this probably wouldn't work out too well with like 2 guys
haha,
im in
(01-03-2015, 03:13 PM)Stepson Wrote: [ -> ]haha,
im in

alright cool

Still waiting on potential participants. This contest technically only requires 3 people to work, so don't be hesitant to join
LMMS has similar contests. There's no real prize, just make a song that fits the qualifications within two weeks and then listen to all of them together and give critique.

I'm willing to maybe help out, perhaps. But I'm horrible at sticking around for things.
I'm in.
(01-04-2015, 03:14 PM)Qwertygiy Wrote: [ -> ]LMMS has similar contests. There's no real prize, just make a song that fits the qualifications within two weeks and then listen to all of them together and give critique.

That's a good thing to know

Do you have a link to one of these contests? I could probably use it as a reference or something

(01-04-2015, 03:14 PM)Qwertygiy Wrote: [ -> ]I'm willing to maybe help out, perhaps. But I'm horrible at sticking around for things.

That depends on what you want to help with? I mostly have the logistics of this thing mapped out in my head; and since there aren't a lot of people here to begin with, it shouldn't be too complicated to organize this either (probably)

Although I'm sort of dry on ideas when it comes to the contest theme :s
(01-05-2015, 06:14 PM)Lempillsk Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-04-2015, 03:14 PM)Qwertygiy Wrote: [ -> ]LMMS has similar contests. There's no real prize, just make a song that fits the qualifications within two weeks and then listen to all of them together and give critique.

That's a good thing to know

Do you have a link to one of these contests? I could probably use it as a reference or something

The facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/LMMSchallenge
Estoy de acuerdo con Lempillsk. It's well worth a try.
I'm in. What could possibly go wrong?
Updated the OP, read it

I'm probably going to create a new thread when the contest begins, so stay tuned :exclamation:

edit: how do you guys feel about a 7-10 day long deadline? Would that be enough time for you guys?
(01-07-2015, 04:08 PM)Lempillsk Wrote: [ -> ]Updated the OP, read it

I'm probably going to create a new thread when the contest begins, so stay tuned :exclamation:

edit: how do you guys feel about a 7-10 day long deadline? Would that be enough time for you guys?

I think 14 days would be a good number. It's not going overboard, yet it's long enough for people to develop solid ideas.