Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Do any of you like math?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I used to not like math for the most part until I discovered physics. While physics isn't really math, it uses math to solve problems that I actually find interesting. Calculus III was kinda interesting to take, since was actually doing calculations involving the Z dimension but it still was kinda dull. I'll be taking linear algebra soon (3D computer graphics math) and I'm actually excited to learn that stuff.
Weirdly i like doing math. Alot of ppl dont though because its "hard".
(09-15-2020, 10:22 AM)daysbeforerodeo Wrote: [ -> ]Weirdly i like doing math. Alot of ppl dont though because its "hard".
That's what I hear from a lot of people. Some of this math I've done is kind of easy to calculate, but the theory behind it is too hard to understand lol.
Here's my insight as a language/humanities centric person⁠—I'm okay with math because it trains my brain and I want to be versatile in life. If there's something I'm vaguely curious about, it's fun to critically think about what operations I need to get there (as opposed to actually executing the math itself).

Math is like a jigsaw. Some people like the 50 piece puzzle and others like the 5000 piece. I have fun solving the former and trying to do it more quickly each time. That being said, I feel people who do more advanced math concepts don't have as much of an instant gratification bug as I do.

If you try to give me the 5000 piece puzzle during a test I will actually crack under pressure. Even if you already have certain trends and formulas established, all of that gets thrown out of the window when you lose the flow of what you're doing. I understand the concepts but I literally don't understand my location with them.

I'd like to believe that math is very flexible across an entire word problem but I often feel like I'm locked to a linear process. The idea that Step 1 has the possibility of fucking up Step 2 is what turns me off about math, and I can't quite debug it easily.

Another major problem with math is that most people who hate it are working with something they can't see. Math is another story when applied to rendered contexts, rather than numbers and letters.

I'm not a visual learner, but it's crucially important to me for math. Piecewise functions and Pascal's triangle were cake units in my Algebra II class because they were visual by default.

Also want to mention that people who are "into math" come off as condescending to people who don't space it as well. It's really demeaning to hear someone say "okay, but math is everywhere"⁠—like stop doing it, it's goddamn annoying. I'd really love to tell you that knowing how to interpret information is also everywhere!

I hope this provides some positive thinking for others who don't like math. It's not easy stuff, but college definitely looks at your flexibility as a person and that math is generally something that can always be improved on among many other things.
As a former student of Calculus and Statistics, yes and no.

To me, we can be interested in (and like) certain types of maths calculation and dislike the other types simultaneously, and which ones to like (or dislike) can be affected by different factors, such as our understanding towards the usage of the various types of calculations and our experiences while doing the math. 

For example. I hate doing algebra because I always had difficulty getting the answer right due to carelessness, etc, but am highly interested in the statistics, permutation and combinations type of calculation because the questions are fun.
no, math sucks
math is cool
Math sucks arse
(09-15-2020, 08:57 PM)LucentTear Wrote: [ -> ]Here's my insight as a language/humanities centric person⁠—I'm okay with math because it trains my brain and I want to be versatile in life. If there's something I'm vaguely curious about, it's fun to critically think about what operations I need to get there (as opposed to actually executing the math itself).

Math is like a jigsaw. Some people like the 50 piece puzzle and others like the 5000 piece. I have fun solving the former and trying to do it more quickly each time. That being said, I feel people who do more advanced math concepts don't have as much of an instant gratification bug as I do.

If you try to give me the 5000 piece puzzle during a test I will actually crack under pressure. Even if you already have certain trends and formulas established, all of that gets thrown out of the window when you lose the flow of what you're doing. I understand the concepts but I literally don't understand my location with them.

I'd like to believe that math is very flexible across an entire word problem but I often feel like I'm locked to a linear process. The idea that Step 1 has the possibility of fucking up Step 2 is what turns me off about math, and I can't quite debug it easily.

Another major problem with math is that most people who hate it are working with something they can't see. Math is another story when applied to rendered contexts, rather than numbers and letters.

I'm not a visual learner, but it's crucially important to me for math. Piecewise functions and Pascal's triangle were cake units in my Algebra II class because they were visual by default.

Also want to mention that people who are "into math" come off as condescending to people who don't space it as well. It's really demeaning to hear someone say "okay, but math is everywhere"⁠—like stop doing it, it's goddamn annoying. I'd really love to tell you that knowing how to interpret information is also everywhere!

I hope this provides some positive thinking for others who don't like math. It's not easy stuff, but college definitely looks at your flexibility as a person and that math is generally something that can always be improved on among many other things.

In a lot of ways I'm a language and humanities person too. I just got on board the computer science train partially because of $$$. I genuinely find CS interesting though. What I like about programming is that it is like solving a big word problem where there is more than one way to solve it. I've noticed that writing a good program is like writing a good argument paper where you have to order things the general correct order in order for them to work. Programming languages have their own "grammar" and spelling too.

I'm glad I chose CS, where I can use both my right and left brain to think. I think I would get sick of engineering if I chose that as my major. It's mostly all math, and its artistic side (drafting) is done mostly by non engineers and newbie engineers. I wish I could make the big bucks on drafting alone sometimes, because I literally draft in CAD for fun.
(09-18-2020, 10:07 AM)2Bit Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-15-2020, 08:57 PM)LucentTear Wrote: [ -> ]Here's my insight as a language/humanities centric person⁠—I'm okay with math because it trains my brain and I want to be versatile in life. If there's something I'm vaguely curious about, it's fun to critically think about what operations I need to get there (as opposed to actually executing the math itself).

In a lot of ways I'm a language and humanities person too. I just got on board the computer science train partially because of $$$. I genuinely find CS interesting though. What I like about programming is that it is like solving a big word problem where there is more than one way to solve it. I've noticed that writing a good program is like writing a good argument paper where you have to order things the general correct order in order for them to work. Programming languages have their own "grammar" and spelling too.

I'm glad I chose CS, where I can use both my right and left brain to think. I think I would get sick of engineering if I chose that as my major. It's mostly all math, and its artistic side (drafting) is done mostly by non engineers and newbie engineers. I wish I could make the big bucks on drafting alone sometimes, because I literally draft in CAD for fun.

Will-be foreign language major here. I can scrutinize sentences structures the same way others can scrutinize math problems.

Speaking a different language doesn't really have numerical values but there are words and grammar concepts that add up in a way, and I like that.
Pages: 1 2 3