Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: What do you hate in music?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
when the audio is mixed badly
When half the insturments are muted
Hate would be a strong word, but I despise the fact that everything is ***** and that I am also itching yet strictly forbidding myself to make another godforsaken interpretation of it. Or that I will never consider any of my work to be finished, just too fatigued or inexperienced to develop further.
Little to no variation
The Carpenters
Really high notes (ow my ears) lack of meaning in the lyrics, autotuning, the baseline not lining up with the melody.
Personally I don't think autotune is such a bad thing, if used right it can make the vocal sound better, and usually I use a light autotune even if I am singing pretty well tuned (though I sing not often). The big argument against it seems to be that it makes the singer sound better than what they can sing, but technical proficiency does not equal the quality of sound we hear, and though it is niceto have a singer who can sing, that is not always a luxury everyone has.

About making someone sound more technically advanced than they are, quantized drums and copy + paste does seem to get nearly asmuch hate as autotune.

If y'all don't like it though thats fine
Loops. Songs written with a four bar loop with only 1 or 2 parts. It's lazy. No hooks, no arrangements, too much automation, not enough inspiration.

Lyrics that never rise above the literal, a complete lack of metaphor. This is rampant in country music these days. I normally don't name names in these sort of things but Shawn Mendez is the worst. Eight-year olds could write better lyrics.

Compression and ducking. Yea, that got old years ago. Very very VERY few do it well.
(10-13-2020, 11:07 AM)yametekudastop Wrote: [ -> ]when the audio is mixed badly
Audio mixing can make or break a song. There are some really good songs out their that I would listen to a lot more if they had better mixing.
The modern-day cliche of music:
1. The song always being about romance or sex and often is meaningless (ono you broke up with mee its the end of the world pls be with
2. me agai- SHUT UP)
3. overuse in synth/autotune
4. the song not actually being real catchy and gets boring after you listen to it twice
5. the song uses a looped 808 trap beat with a rapid-fire attack of hi-hats, and no actual transitions with the drums.

Random key changes. this one may be a little controversial, but if it is in the middle of the chorus and the song randomly changes keys, it makes it a little cheesy. You're enjoying the song and then suddenly you have to get used to the fact that the key just changed. Key changes can actually work if used wisely, however.

the song is plain unpolished and it is clear that it was made by someone that had no intention of making it sound good, they just wanted to make a song and make loads of money and fame off of it. This is very common these days, with hip hop being easy to create with modern-day tools. (autotune, daws, 808 samples, etc.)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5