Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Should We Un-Ban Benvisions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There is a slightly controversial situation going on in chat here. The user by the name of Benvisions has been banned. Ben was last on chat on 10/20/2020, and the last page of chat logs that he is on is page 24605.

I personally don't like to see users on this site shunned, especially for little cause. A user being muted is bad enough, but a ban is even more restrictive on a user's ability to use this site.

By posting this, I would like to ask the moderators in question:
-What was the reason for the ban?
-Did the user break any of the rules of the website or chat?
-Would it be possible to un-ban him?
Thank you, Void.
I appreciate the openness and honesty here.
I realize that underage internet usage can be complicated, especially for creating accounts on sites like this, and I had not thought about this originally.

I hope that I didn't cause any kind of unnecessary contention by posting this forum post - my apologies if so.
i know i'm not a mod but i can act as a witness. i personally don't think he should be banned. he hasn't harmed anyone from what i can tell. maybe a mute could be remotely justifiable but in no cases a ban. his first language was spanish so his english and sense making could be very confusing sometimes. yes he complains alot, but i'm pretty sure he's just trying to relate with the other users because he is of different culture. i'm sure he would stop if you told him to.
To my knowledge, Ben wasn't blatantly breaking any of the rules on the site. In fact, there are other people I would have banned first because they actually violate some of the guidelines or at least come close to it.

Among the subjective opinion of the mod team however, Ben was generally unlikeable. Some of us felt he was trying to tell us how to do our jobs for very trivial circumstances. He often makes declarations that he has no power to enforce which can come off as really annoying to us.

There's just a general pact among moderators that once someone's banned, there is a light agreeance collectively for them to stay banned. However, if there is enough support/justification to unban Ben then we can consider the idea.
i understand that he's annoying, but nowhere in the rules does it declare that you can't have a generally annoying personality. that's like taking someone to jail just because he's bossy. you just have to live with people you dont like. so if it's not in the rules, i dont think a punishment is justified.
We're trying our best not to ban on annoyance alone. Ever since some specific drama occurred a few weeks ago, I've been trying to mitigate any chat tension that occurs (whether there's some politics being brought up, or if idle posting is disturbing the flow of the chat).

Even if a person is not specifically breaking any rules, it should actually be viewed more of a cause-and-effect type of deal. One person can actually be the cause for multiple people causing tension to occur on the chat. It's happened back in 2017 with a very controversial person, and that banning him helped a lot with cleaning discrepancies among the community.

I hope that this provides a bit of insight on why anyone should be banned on this site. There are times where the moderators screw up in decision-making, but we'll have to see what happens from here.
then i think its very important to list that in the rules specifically
I don't think he should have been banned
(10-24-2020, 09:49 PM)Firebolt391d Wrote: [ -> ]There is a slightly controversial situation going on in chat here. The user by the name of Benvisions has been banned. Ben was last on chat on 10/20/2020, and the last page of chat logs that he is on is page 24605.

I personally don't like to see users on this site shunned, especially for little cause. A user being muted is bad enough, but a ban is even more restrictive on a user's ability to use this site.

By posting this, I would like to ask the moderators in question:
-What was the reason for the ban?
-Did the user break any of the rules of the website or chat?
-Would it be possible to un-ban him?

Based on the reasoning for his ban, I say no.  I think banning someone, even in a small community, because people dislike them is extreme.  If there was specific reasoning to his ban, so be it, but meh.  I didn't know him well so I can't say much about him at all.  Honestly, the staff team has done a lot of stuff that I am largely against because it was done from emotion rather than rationality, which is bad when they make decisions based on an opinion that differs from someone else's.  Kind of annoying to see, in all honesty, but whatever.