Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Layers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I’ve had this idea for a while now, adding “layers” to OS

Basically a layer is like an instance of OS, and each layer would work like an independent song, you could play each layer separately or play all layers at once. 

This would help with a lot of things. 

If you’re like me, you like to stack instruments on top of each other to Create new sounds, but what if you want to copy that part and paste it to drag somewhere else, currently you have to use shift click to select each note by hand, but with layers, you can have certain notes in a different layer to be able to copy/paste layer. 

Drums are also a big problem, as they can overlap other parts of the sequence that you want to edit, but with layers you could have the drums in another layer and not have to worry about them getting in the way. 

Effects, I have a love and hate relationship with them. I like reverb but if I use reverb once on an instrument, now every single other note of that instrument will have reverb, which isn’t the most fun thing in the world. With layers, you could have one layer where that instrument has reverb, and another layer where it doesn’t!

That’s just a few of the possibilities that layers open up, thanks for taking your time to read this
You talking about separate tracks for each instrument? This website has a locking feature
I personally thought perhaps a "send note to front" and "send note to back" utility would be helpful. This might achieve a similar goal and also might be simpler.
(You might recognize this terminology if you have ever used any kind of Microsoft or Google Powerpoint editor)
Yes.
Sometimes i create sequences where i want 2 parts of the sequence in the same instrument but still be able to interact with them like they where 2 different instruments. Layers would help for sure when creating sequences.
(11-06-2020, 09:14 AM)Lopyt Wrote: [ -> ]You talking about separate tracks for each instrument? This website has a locking feature
No, it’s more like I want them to be like 2 completely separate sequences but in the same sequence. You could choose to not use the layers and it would act like normal online sequencer