Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Did my first thing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Heya!
I made my first musical anything ever! So, looking to hear everyone's input, constructive criticism, and all that.
Your percussion work is really good.
Nice technique with the square waves at measure 47 as well.

I can't say I'm a fan of hard metal or really any songs without any clear melody, but as far as first songs go, this one shows quite a bit of skill, especially in your percussion. Nice job.
Try to avoid chromaticism, but it sounds fine
(02-28-2021, 06:37 PM)Lopyt Wrote: [ -> ]Try to avoid chromaticism, but it sounds fine
What is chromaticism? I've never taken any class on or studied music theory myself
(02-28-2021, 06:45 PM)Mr. Bleed Wrote: [ -> ]What is chromaticism? I've never taken any class on or studied music theory myself

Tbh I had never heard of this either. I had to look it up.

Diatonicism is harmonic in that it only uses notes within the musical key or scale.
Chromasticism is the use of notes that are outside of the song's musical key. Sometimes this is also known as "accidentals."

Chromasticism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromaticism

Diatonicism vs Chromasticism Video
https://youtu.be/WYmFP2HqSC0?t=91
I think Lopyt just means that some of the chords are a little dissonant, or non-diatonic. For example, the D# and the A are dissonant and clashing. This can be a good thing, but not always.
I think its a really good first try, but some of the rhythms are a little too simple sounding (mostly on the lead) and the types of harmonies you use don't have much tension and release. Atonality/chromaticism is a great tool but rather hard to use. Works best for complex rhythmic stuff I think.
Chromatic runs like that lead are also not really something I recommend doing
I really enjoyed your use of rhythm and percussion! It kept a solid underlying groove going throughout your piece. The rhythmic components also had a nice balance between simplicity and complexity.

Another aspect that I think was done well was how you layered the different elements. Each thing was established before you added something new. This is a great way to keep music feeling cohesive but engaging. Also, good job of dialing things back and breaking it down a few times. It is a great way to relieve some of the building tension.

The tune was a bit of a tonic mish-mash and fairly dissonant. That's not necessarily bad, but it can be a bit overwhelming for some listeners because it makes it hard to resolve tensions. A little bit of knowledge of musical scales/chord structures could help you see how pitches work together and how to arrange them for the effects you want. But this will also come with time and trial and error.

Overall, I think this is a great sequence for a first go! Keep on creating!
(I know I am a month late to the party, but I saw it and wanted to share some encouraging thoughts)
I think your musical is very good. It is good to be testing our talents in it. Continue with more and more so that your talent flows