Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Sorta new
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey. I've been around here for about a month, and thought I'd introduce myself.

I go by 'Kiffa' online. I've been writing and recording music for a very long time (if I say how long, I know I'll get instantly 'OK boomer'ed). I play keyboards, but I'm not what you'd call an incredibly skilled musician. I can't read music, I don't know much theory, and I've never played in front of an audience. That just isn't my skill level. I just write songs when the inspiration strikes, and if I'm lucky, record versions of them that I can live with. Then I just listen to the recordings, and completely forget how to play my own songs lol.

I came by OS almost by accident after a technical setback left me unable to connect my musical instruments to my computer for FAWM (February Album Writing Month). I was determined to have something to show for the month, so I started looking for alternate ways to get song ideas down, and here I am. I may eventually just do some 'goofing around' stuff, and maybe try a few covers just for fun, but most of the stuff I do here will essentially be demos for original songs that I intend to later record final versions of, along with a few OS versions of songs I've already recorded.

For someone like myself, whose lack of consummate musical and production skills makes traditional recording an especially laborious process, I'm finding OS a very quick and effective way to make demos. I've already recorded a bunch of stuff that I'm quite happy with, including a few songs that have been floating around inside my head for several years but that have never existed in physical form until now.

Don't know how much time I'll spend in the forums, but glad to be here.

My sequences: https://onlinesequencer.net/members/51778
My Soundcloud (warning: contains some real old, rough, lo-fi stuff): https://soundcloud.com/i_am_kiffa
Cool story, I agree OS is a great tool for quick music ideas. You should practise keyboards perhaps, being good at your instrument helps a lot with how easy it is to write and record music
(03-03-2021, 12:51 AM)Lopyt Wrote: [ -> ]Cool story, I agree OS is a great tool for quick music ideas. You should practise keyboards perhaps, being good at your instrument helps a lot with how easy it is to write and record music
Heh, I could practice 'til my fingers bled, and I doubt I'd get any better than I am now. I've tried many times over the years to learn to play 'for real' and it's never sunk in. Knowing my stuff backward and forward would certainly make things easier, as you said, but being a so-so musician has never stopped me from being able to write (IMHO) some pretty decent songs. I've even been covered a couple of times.