Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Can notes be sustained?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there a feature to make violin, tuba, etc. play notes longer?
You can detune all the way down or repeat a bunch of notes together
I don't know, ask Bofa. Bofa's an expert at sustains on the site.
(06-28-2021, 11:06 PM)Jimbo Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know, ask Bofa. Bofa's an expert at sustains on the site.

You mean Bofa deez nuts, huh?
just for that reply i'm not going to answer
(06-28-2021, 11:03 PM)Lopyt Wrote: [ -> ]You can detune all the way down or repeat a bunch of notes together

How do I detune all the way down? Any examples I can learn from?
(06-28-2021, 11:30 PM)DeezNotes Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-28-2021, 11:03 PM)Lopyt Wrote: [ -> ]You can detune all the way down or repeat a bunch of notes together

How do I detune all the way down? Any examples I can learn from?
https://sites.google.com/view/lucentguid...th-markers

There's also a slider in the Advanced Options tab of the instrument options that lets you change the global detune value of an instrument
Can notes be sustained?  The great question of OS.  Can they?  That depends.

OS is a really cool site but there are quite a few quirks compared to common sequencers that you may be used to.  The main one is that the vast majority of the instruments (to date) do not allow sustain control.  That is to say that if you play a note on your violin, it's like a drum, percussive.  No matter if you use a 64th note, a quarter note or a whole note or even tie multiple whole notes, and no matter what tempo you use, that violin note will always sustain the same length in real time.

There are exceptions.  Flute, electric guitar, the secret piano and the 4 synth waves all release when the note ends (like one would expect), although flute, e-guitar and s-piano will not sustain forever (flute and e-guitar in particular are fairly short).

There are also work-arounds that the community here have come up with.

If you want longer sustain, you can use a technique called pseudo-sustain.  This is where you draw multiple small notes all in a row for the length of sustain that you want.  The sound of the notes overlap and create a sustain effect.  This usually means that you have to turn that instrument down in the mix.  Some instruments work well this way (violin, cello, smooth synth), while others may sound better by layering a sine or triangle pad under them.  Personally I've found that the church organ sounds nice with longer notes together (quarters or thirds instead of 16ths say), creating a hammond-esque leslie effect.  You'll have to experiment.

If you want shorter sustain it's more complicated and does not always work in all situations.  With the automation markers that were updated last winter, you can use automation to gate (turn the volume on/off) at the appropriate time to 'cut-off' the sustain.  However, if you want to play a note of that instrument soon after, when you turn the volume back on, any sustain still ringing will return and will likely sound fugly.

Good luck and have fun on OS.
(06-29-2021, 11:07 AM)emekat Wrote: [ -> ]Can notes be sustained?  The great question of OS.  Can they?  That depends.

OS is a really cool site but there are quite a few quirks compared to common sequencers that you may be used to.  The main one is that the vast majority of the instruments (to date) do not allow sustain control.  That is to say that if you play a note on your violin, it's like a drum, percussive.  No matter if you use a 64th note, a quarter note or a whole note or even tie multiple whole notes, and no matter what tempo you use, that violin note will always sustain the same length in real time.

There are exceptions.  Flute, electric guitar, the secret piano and the 4 synth waves all release when the note ends (like one would expect), although flute, e-guitar and s-piano will not sustain forever (flute and e-guitar in particular are fairly short).

There are also work-arounds that the community here have come up with.

If you want longer sustain, you can use a technique called pseudo-sustain.  This is where you draw multiple small notes all in a row for the length of sustain that you want.  The sound of the notes overlap and create a sustain effect.  This usually means that you have to turn that instrument down in the mix.  Some instruments work well this way (violin, cello, smooth synth), while others may sound better by layering a sine or triangle pad under them.  Personally I've found that the church organ sounds nice with longer notes together (quarters or thirds instead of 16ths say), creating a hammond-esque leslie effect.  You'll have to experiment.

If you want shorter sustain it's more complicated and does not always work in all situations.  With the automation markers that were updated last winter, you can use automation to gate (turn the volume on/off) at the appropriate time to 'cut-off' the sustain.  However, if you want to play a note of that instrument soon after, when you turn the volume back on, any sustain still ringing will return and will likely sound fugly.

Good luck and have fun on OS.
mad respect for the entire fkin novel u just wrote. ?