Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: New delays suggestion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is the idea of adding a bunch of cool delays good, because we have some awesome reverbs from today
I did have a forum suggesting some useful stereo delay presets. With the way the delay works, I believe this would be really easy and quick to add
This is not really possible under the current graph architecture. The delay and reverb nodes are per effect, not per instrument, to save CPU and memory. Eg, all instruments using the Proton effect get connected to the same delay and reverb nodes.

We could rewrite the audio graph to support this, but I suspect it would be bad for CPU and memory use, since we'd need separate delay nodes for every instrument.
Could delay be like it is in most programs, where there are two taps, one left one right, and each get a delay time and feedback? Woul that make it less CPU heavy?
No, we'd still have to make per instrument delay nodes, so that's the same issue. Maybe it would be ok though. I know it would increase CPU/memory, but I don't know by how much. We can experiment.
Delays are usually not bad on the CPU in DAWs. It doesn't have to be per instrument if you have a differen't delay for each preset and then use the delay button to pick which one the instruments send to
for sake of argument, say you had two different delay effects, a "long delay" and a "short delay". why can't each delay effect have its own node, so every instrument using the "long delay" goes through the long delay node, and every instrument using "short delay" goes through the short delay node? i guess i don't understand why it needs to be done by instrument.

if there does need to be just one delay node every instrument uses, i have a suggestion that would make delay more useful, and that would add almost no clutter at all to the interface:

- every instrument could run through the delay (or not) as it does now, and when you turn on delay on an instrument, everything would work exactly as it does now
- but, using markers, we could allow users to change how that master delay works. so we could add a marker option called "delay type" (almost exactly like the new "effects" option) which would open up a dropdown with delay options: 1/4 note delay, 2/3 note delay, 3/8 note delay, etc, or other names like "short delay", "syncopated delay", "triplet delay", "medium delay", "ping pong delay", "long delay", if you want names that will be easily understood by people who don't know much music theory. when a marker is inserted into a sequence changing the delay type, then the delay would use a new delay time (for every instrument running through the delay)

that wouldn't affect existing sequences at all, and users who didn't care to adjust delay wouldn't even notice anything had changed.
No, we can't just have one delay node per delay preset. Say you give Koto the "short delay" preset and the Nova effect, and you give Sitar the "short delay" preset and the Schema effect.

Koto -> short delay -> Nova
Sitar -> short delay -> Schema

If all instruments share the same "short delay" node, we have a problem. Should "short delay" be connected to the Nova or the Schema effect?
ok, that makes sense, but if that's the only issue, i gather that would mean you could keep the single default delay we have now, but add different types of delay to the 'effects' list where we currently find Nova and Schema? then it would be impossible to combine the new delay effects with other effects (besides default delay) so that effect concatenation question would be moot.