Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: List of all my feature ideas (not bad ones i promise)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been using OS for quite a while, and there are some changes, that I assume would be simple to program, that would make it better.  I don't expect these to be added overnight.
-A way to extend the length of notes shorter than 1/4 without switching the grid size
-An option for different visual patterns on the notes, as there are so many instruments that some are nearly identical in color.  Also I'm colorblind so that doesn't help.  Changes in the brightness, saturation, or pattern of a note could denote effects like volume and detune
-Make it more difficult to accidentally delete sequences, put a confirmation or something.  Someone could easily troll in chat with a link that would delete someone's sequence with the current system.
-Resizeable chat window
-clean up the mess that is the "show options" windows, takes a while to find the instrument you're looking for.
-ability to type number into a slider
-make selecting markers less buggy
-some instruments still won't play once the loading bar is gone and playback is no longer restricted, and you have to wait
-A way to see if there are new comments on your sequences without clicking on every single one you've ever made.

There are also some things which i presume are more difficult to add, but i still really want, and don't expect any time soon.
-CUSTOM INSTRUMENT SAMPLES!!!  even if they don't save when you leave
-Instrument effects that aren't just fancy words for reverb, maybe an 8 bit effect, or under water effect, or megaphone
-Make note velocity, detune, temp changes, volume changes, EVERYTHING work when you export as midi, (probably difficult because the marker system is completely different from how midi file format works?
-A way to "render" songs, which will export the song to a sound file and take as much time as needed, but without the lag introduced by recording live playback.

These are just some ideas i have for the site, I hope i don't sound beggy
you promised D:

colorblindness accessibility is interesting, though
(07-11-2021, 07:39 PM)Benjobanjo7 Wrote: [ -> ]you promised D:

colorblindness accessibility is interesting, though
sorry i broke promise
I like all these. They sound like great suggestions!
Quote:-ability to type number into a slider

THIS! Yay, I'm not the only one. I started a topic on just this a couple of weeks ago. It should be simple to be able to read the value of the setting and to just enter a precise setting. There are a couple of ways to implement this a) a hover tooltip on a slider to reveal the value of the setting and then a right click of the slider to manually enter a number or b) a data box next to the slider showing the value which you can click to manually change the number. This should be available on ANY slider setting in OS.

Quote:-clean up the mess that is the "show options" windows, takes a while to find the instrument you're looking for.

Very much in favor of this. Instead of having a big dialogue panel for this we should have a mixer display since 'options' tab is a mixer after all. Each instrument having a vertical channel on the mixer and you should be able to drag the channels into whatever order you wish so that the 6 or 7 instruments that you are using are always at the front. Even if the advanced settings are still an extra popup, having the instruments laid out in traditional mixer channel format would be so much easier to navigate.

There are also a couple of things here that I wouldn't call a priority at all but would certainly be convenient.

Quote:-A way to extend the length of notes shorter than 1/4 without switching the grid size
-make selecting markers less buggy
-A way to see if there are new comments on your sequences without clicking on every single one you've ever made.
-A way to "render" songs, which will export the song to a sound file and take as much time as needed, but without the lag introduced by recording live playback.
-Resizeable chat window

Editing small notes can be so fiddly that I often just delete them and redraw.

Selecting, copying and pasting markers is often a chore. Also, globally mixing instruments that have automated by markers doesn't work. The markers override the globals so the only way to remix automated instrument levels is to MANUALLY adjust all the markers in the entire sequence - and sometimes this means hundreds, essentially easier to erase all your makers (for that one instrument only!) and start again. If we had marker filters to select all markers of a certain instrument/attribute and change them all en masse would help but not completely solve. It would still be best to have an option to 'hook' the global reset button on a given marker to the global setting, so that if the global setting ever changes, that marker would change too.

Some form of comment alert would be nice. It took me months to accidentally realize that I had a bunch.

I admit that it is a pain to export an mp3 for 4 minutes, then play the mp3 and find a bunch of lag errors in the render. I'd much rather wait 8 minutes or even 12 to build a 4 minute mp3 that always sounds right. Don't know how possible that is but that's my 2 cents on the matter.

I was surprised that the chat window does not resize. It covers a lot of the forum screen. I'm always trying to move it around to uncover something.

[quote]-Make it more difficult to accidentally delete sequences, put a confirmation or something.  Someone could easily troll in chat with a link that would delete someone's sequence with the current system.

I was not aware that this was a problem but yes, sounds like an exploit that could be closed off rather simply and potentially save a lot of grief. Might I also add that it is easy to misclick and UPLOAD something that you do not want to upload. When the site got updated last fall and the menus changed I actually did this. I was working offline and was not logged in, now somewhere out there I have an anonymous song uploaded that belongs to me and I can't take down. Could put the same confirmation on saving too to avoid this.
I like all of these ideas greatly, especially the colorblind symbols idea and the comments notifications idea too.
"-ability to type number into a slider"

you can just use console and stuff
(07-13-2021, 04:33 PM)eepic Wrote: [ -> ]"-ability to type number into a slider"

you can just use console and stuff

Yes you can ... n stuff. But noobs can't. Much of the console code for settings is undocumented. Want to adjust the pan setting of a marker? I had to ask Liam for the code, in fact I had to ask Liam if there even WAS code for that (thankfully he was extremely helpful, but his code for this is not documented ANYWHERE), so even OS vets can't do this alone.