Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: tips on making better melodies?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys! I don't know where to post this so I'll just post it here:

It would be lovely if any of you share some tips and tricks on making better melodies with me.
Cheers!
A great tip is set the tempo via an online tap tempo finder, then hum the melody uou have in your head, and put it down, rather thsn doing rsndom notes
(10-02-2021, 08:25 AM)Lopyt Wrote: [ -> ]A great tip is set the tempo via an online tap tempo finder, then hum the melody uou have in your head, and put it down, rather thsn doing rsndom notes

Thanks!
(10-02-2021, 08:25 AM)Lopyt Wrote: [ -> ]A great tip is set the tempo via an online tap tempo finder, then hum the melody you have in your head, and put it down, rather than doing random notes
Thanks. I am looking for some tips and tricks on making better melodies with me online and I have found those tips in your post. I will surely keep them in my mind while making melodies. I would also like to share the https://themusicuniverse.com/how-does-mu...-students/ website with you in which you can find how does music affect the learning process of students. If you are a student and your final exams are near then I will recommend you to not listen to the music until you gave all of your exams.
If you have a piano, I recommend making out a melody on the piano since it's somewhat easier than just putting random notes on the sequencer.

Also using scales and key signatures is a good aid in music making.

Make out a chord progression to which will suit your melody, then start placing down notes relative to the chord keys you used in your progression earlier so that the song flows well with your chord prog.

To explain chord keys: There is the root which is at the very bottom and is the most important note in your chords, then there is the third that is three semitones (relative to your key signature) above the root, and finally there is the fifth which is five semitones (relative to your key sig) above the root note which is what a "triad" is built up of in music theory.
Here's how a triad looks in the sequencer:

You can start out by placing down your root notes to make a simple bassline, then fill out the thirds and fifths after. (thirds and fifths are not a rule, you can also put a root and a fifth together and it will still sound good)
If you're feeling a little special you can use sixths, sevenths to give your song a different feel.
Here is how different chord progressions can change the vibe of the song entirely:

After choosing your chords, you can use tones from scales as aforementionned above and find notes that fit the mood of your chord progression
Scales are basically your key signature however there are two main scales. There are heptatonic scales with 7 tones (they're just your key sig) and pentatonic with 5 tones
Here's an example

After finding cool-sounding notes, you can place them in a variety of patterns. You can either make a simple ascending arpeggio (which is basically notes going higher) or other stuff if you get creative with your rhythm patterns. Using polyrhythms is a good way to find memorable melodies or to make your melody stand out more from the chord progression.
A polyrhythm is basically two rhythms superposed on each other
Here's an example in the sequencer:

Try to find a catchy rhythm (a rhythm determines when the notes are played in a sequence). For instance: tresillos or 3/3/2/3/3/2 rhythms is an example of a somewhat catchy rhythm cause it makes your melody stand out more from the chord progressions
Here's what a tresillo is if you want a musical visualization

At the end, when you have applied all simplified protocols for composing (scales, keys, good chord prog) ask yourself if you can hum this melody to yourself to verify if it is memorable enough. If not, try to improve it. After all, the melody is what most people will judge your song by.

I hope you've read this advice with great attention casuse i've done my best to simplify it and give you a good explanation on how to compose

(FYI: This is a condensed version of Electroll's tutorial series on how to compose music and apply music theory to your songs.)
You can check that here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJo90I4s...WRkQtojqXe
I discourage making a chord prog before the melody. The melody is usually a foal point and it should be used to imply the chord prog and rhythm. Starting with percussion works sometimes but not as reliable as starting with a melody. It can hrlp to get a feel for the melody you have in your head and so I usually copy and paste a simple ass drum beat first before I record anything

What makes modern music interesting is dissonance, in harmony and rhythm. Harmonic dissonance is when notes are played at the same time start to get angry because they are too close together. Notes are like rowdy children and usually its best to keep them apart,however you can use their anger to give your chords certain emotions. Take for example C4 and B5. Played at the same time they are very not nice to each other, but when we add E4 and G4 we can manipulate their resentment to suit our own needs for the song.

Rhythmic dissonance is basically having notes off the metronome time that really gets the song grooving. I called it dissonanve because a beat is the same as a note played really really low, technically they are the same but we don't hear them as notes past the 20hz threshold. Anyways adding notes off the beat can really make a song great,in fact you can make entire songs that are just drums off the beat and it will sound great. Having your rhythm down really is the key to making your songs sound good.

Structure is where I see most people fail when creating music, and I haven't mastered it myself so my apologies for being vague. Just remember that sections MUST flow well to each other and not go off on random sounding tangents.

Next step is mixing your song and selecting instrumemts. Instruments can be pretty rowdy too but they don't sound good when they are over each other. Make sure to give them volumes that reflect their importamce (PS drums are always #1 importance) and pan away instruments that aren't focal like main melody, bass, kick, and snare.

After all that is done see if you can get feedback by sending yoyr song at Chat
(10-05-2021, 09:45 AM)Lopyt Wrote: [ -> ]chord prog

mixing your song and selecting instruments

sections MUST flow well to each other and not  go off on random sounding tangents

melody

Lopyt uses all the same concepts as me but here's the order I do them in

also reverb helps