Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Conway's Game of life inside a DAW
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have this crazy Idea. Imagine playing Conway's game of life, over a DAW grid. Let's Imagine that squares that are "alive", will play a note corresponding to the grid. Let's run consecutive generations of the game over a steady rate, and see what kind of music is produced. All the music produced may be nothing but nonsense. I have a suspicion, that complicated and unique music could possibly be produced this way. Maybe which notes are on the grid could be altered, to expirement with different results. (Try one game with all notes, and another game with only notes in a certain key etc...) Multiple layers of the game could be added, for multiple instruments. Oscillators could make for good percussion. Different layers of the game, could be played back at different speeds. What do you guys think about this? Could a mod for OS be created to achieve this? Maybe I'm crazy, but let's discuss.
I love this idea!
You're probably not crazy but this sounds awesome dude!
(02-06-2022, 08:53 AM)Soothsayer13 Wrote: [ -> ]I have this crazy Idea. Imagine playing Conway's game of life, over a DAW grid. Let's Imagine that squares that are "alive", will play a note corresponding to the grid. Let's run consecutive generations of the game over a steady rate, and see what kind of music is produced. All the music produced may be nothing but nonsense. I have a suspicion, that complicated and unique music could possibly be produced this way. Maybe which notes are on the grid could be altered, to expirement with different results. (Try one game with all notes, and another game with only notes in a certain key etc...) Multiple layers of the game could be added, for multiple instruments. Oscillators could make for good percussion. Different layers of the game, could be played back at different speeds. What do you guys think about this? Could a mod for OS be created to achieve this? Maybe I'm crazy, but let's discuss.

good idea.
There could be a whole new world out there, just waiting to be discovered. This mine may be filled with diamonds.
I like this idea! And this seems like it could be very easily created. Good idea.
i LOVE conway's gol. Really would like to see how this would turn out.