Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Some Suggestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have only been on this site for about a week, but already I see the wide plethora of creative material that has blossomed forth from the community and anonymous people that have frequented this sight, that is why in this thread I will propose some suggestions for what the site's owner might want to consider adding so as to augment the creative output of the people who post music. 
   As Pertains To Instruments
      As many of you know, there are 13 instruments available for composing songs out of, however I feel that by adding a few more instruments it will make it possible to compose a wider variety of music such as orchestral pieces, (think Beethoven's 5th), and organ songs, (think Toccata and Fugue), here is a list of instruments that I believe should be added: The flute, The Organ, The Theremin(for those 'alien' esque compositions), The Harmonica, The Harpsichord, The Bagpipes, and lastly, an a capella option that imitates the timbre of the human voice, useful for monets such as 'Spem in Alium'. 
      The next change, that I feel would be greatly appreciated is if a separate option were available that dictated the dynamics of a note, beginning with ppp and ending with fff; thus curing the rather flat sounding mono-dynamic notes that are played at the same volume no matter what, implementing this feature will allow for more expressiveness and emotion in the midi's available, rather than hollow sounding melodies, however intricate.
     I believe that people would also benefit from a 'custom tone' option that will allow the user to adjust the timbre, or sine wave of a note, creating new tones that have never been made before, thereby sprucing up midi works and allowing users to replicate the tonal colors of any instruments that have not been included on the list mentioned two paragraphs ago.

As Pertains To Composition
       Although there is a wide variety of note lengths and instruments, the addition of scales with more or less than 12 notes per octave would be greatly appreciated, so as to enable users the ability to compose 'micro-tonal' music, that is, music that doesn't use 12 notes per octave. The setting for this should enable people to select tonal scales from 5 tones per octave all the way to 53 notes per octave, unlocking horizons of musical creativity for people who simply want to compose or listen to something different from the norm.

As Pertains To Exhibition Of Musical Pieces
     Throughout my browsing the songs of online-sequencer I have stumbled many musical sequences which neither seem musical nor appropiate, such as sequences that have contained vulgar words and/or pictures. My solution to remedy the problem is to enable a dislike system that makes things such that if a certain sequence obtains more than a tenth of it's total views in dislikes the sequence is relegated the term, 'Voted Down'. This would not make things however such that such a sequence would be removed, it would just be that the particular sequence would only be accessible by clicking a certain option that would enable such voted down sequences to be shown to the user, although unless this option were enabled no voted down midi would be shown.
     Also, to prevent one user reloading the page and disliking a midi multiple times an IP address should be counted as disliking a particular sequence once and not be allowed to dislike the midi further. On a separate but wholly related note, this should be instituted for viewing a sequence, so that a user can't simply reload the page over and over to gain numerous views on his/her compositions.

If you've read through to this point, I commend you, and hope that this message can come to the attention of the sites creator so that he or she can implement the suggestions I have put forth here today. If you, the site's creator are reading this, I'd like to say not to feel obligated to implement these suggestion, but at least bring one of them into fruition, as these will certainly help the community compose a wide variety of music previously inaccessible to them, and be a good decision overall. (I'd also like to complement you on the site  Smile 
                                                 ~1331
I support these changes, specifically the disliking midis idea. I would want a like/thumbs up button as well, that'd be great.
Also, I don't know how to do this, but you should probably move this to the suggestions section.