Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Question for developers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Why don't you want to add sustain for all instruments? Is it that hard? Do it, please. No need for percussion Smile
Yes please
(04-14-2022, 05:59 AM)Nisker Wrote: [ -> ]Why don't you want to add sustain for all instruments? Is it that hard? Do it, please. No need for percussion Smile

It will take too much storage and too long to load songs.  Many instruments can already be sustained or pseudo sustained using a few different techniques.
(04-14-2022, 09:40 AM)Cool172 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-14-2022, 05:59 AM)Nisker Wrote: [ -> ]Why don't you want to add sustain for all instruments? Is it that hard? Do it, please. No need for percussion Smile

It will take too much storage and too long to load songs.  Many instruments can already be sustained or pseudo sustained using a few different techni
But this "pseudo-sustain" wouldn't work with a harpsichord, for example, would it?
I agree with you, there aught to be more naturally-sustaining instruments. Cool might be right, but idk. Would it really be that hard on the site? Some users might have trouble loading sequences ig.

The sustaining sounds are relatively new to the site. When the site was first created by Jacob, none of the sounds had the ability to be drawn out. The original intention of the site feels like it was just to be able to make music with simple note placements.

I personally usually drag out notes regardless of what sound I'm using, and then I download the song as a MIDI to get all of the sustained notes to play in the MIDI.
simply put, the reason behind not making every instrument sustain is backwards compatibility. there have already been plenty of amazing songs written without sustain (example below), and making all the instruments sustain would ruin them.

this song was finished in 2019 and is still one of the greatest pieces on OS today, even after all the updates we've been through. if every instrument sustained, it would sound like garbage
The only plausible way for this to happen would be keeping all of the old instruments hidden like the experimental ones used to be, however the whole process of duplicating and sustaining things sounds a bit tedious, so I doubt anything will come to fruition anytime soon.
(04-16-2022, 09:27 AM)ControlKey Wrote: [ -> ]The only plausible way for this to happen would be keeping all of the old instruments hidden like the experimental ones used to be, however the whole process of duplicating and sustaining things sounds a bit tedious, so I doubt anything will come to fruition anytime soon.

It will take too much storage and too long to load songs.  Many instruments can already be sustained or pseudo sustained using a few different techniques.

Do websites have storage limits?
(04-16-2022, 01:20 AM)Nisker Wrote: [ -> ]

It will take too much storage and too long to load songs.  Many instruments can already be sustained or pseudo sustained using a few different techni
But this "pseudo-sustain" wouldn't work with a harpsichord, for example, would it?

you are correct, that it wouldn't sound right for some instruments.  but with harpsichord, you could layer it with sawtooth in the background to make it sound right.  or for something like synth pluck, you could pseudo sustain smooth synth in the background.
(04-16-2022, 01:20 AM)Nisker Wrote: [ -> ]

I get the point, but this example is hilarious because harpsichords are known for their lack of sustain and dynamic control.
Pages: 1 2