Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Sustained Cello Analysis / Note Lengths
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Cello Note Lengths
I did a brief analysis, and I found that the notes of the Cello vary in maximum length. Much like the flute, the sus cello does come to a stop/end eventually when the note is stretched out far enough. With the flute, this end point becomes pretty easy to hear, as it only lasts a little over a second on average. At 110 bpm, 1 second is about two quarter notes, or two beats.

The cello lasts much longer than the flute. I did some estimations and calculations, and found that the cello lasts for about 5.5 seconds on average (depending on the pitch of the note). There seems to be quite a bit variation with the sustained cello, but in general, the high notes tend to be a bit shorter, and low notes tend to be a bit longer (as I expected would be the case). At 110bpm, 5.5 seconds is a little over 2 measures long. So if you need a note that is held out for two measures at 110 bpm, the sustained cello just might be able to comply.

I noticed while studying the sustained cello that, while most of the high notes last about 4 seconds, there are three notes in the upper register that last almost twice as long as the rest. These three notes are B4, C5, and C#5. They last close to 8 seconds, and are just about as long as the lowest three notes (C3, C#3, and D3).

I made a chart of the estimated note lengths and I have put it in the attachments here just below this post.

Well, this is all kind of random information but I hope maybe this might help someone for whatever reason at some point when using the sustained cello.

Thanks,
Firebolt
Bold research.
(08-14-2022, 01:06 PM)Benvisions Wrote: [ -> ]Bold research.

Yes, Fire Bold research I think you mean ;)
(08-14-2022, 01:07 PM)Firebolt391d Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-14-2022, 01:06 PM)Benvisions Wrote: [ -> ]Bold research.

Yes, Fire Bold research I think you mean Wink

lmao, right.