Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Maketa's Album-A-Day October
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Every weekday this month, I will listen to one full album, front to back, during school and when I can. When I told Lopyt about my idea he suggested I do a blog review thingy for each day, and I'm too lazy to make a website, so I'm doing this on the forum. I don't have all the albums planned out yet. Here's a calendar of all of what I will be listening to each day, and there are a lot of empty spaces so if you have a good Progressive Metal, Psychadelic Metal & Rock, Progressive Rock, or Industrial Metal album you want me to check out I'll find a spot for it on the calendar.

Oct 3: Close to the Edge - Yes
Oct 4: My Arms, Your Hearse - Opeth
Oct 5: Giving Birth to a Stone - Peach
Oct 6: Test for Echo - Rush
Oct 7: Images and Words - Dream Theater (I've heard this album before but I wasn't paying attention very well so I'm listening to it again)
Oct 10: Viva Emptiness - Katatonia
Oct 11: The End, So Far - Slipknot (it's a new release so I was gonna check it out anyway but I prob won't like it)
Oct 12: Weapons of the Modern Age - Sabaton (My friends's favorite band)
Oct 13: With Teeth - Nine Inch Nails
Oct 14: Pork Soda - Primus
Oct 17: Fate of a Dreamer - Ambeon
Oct 18: City Burials - Katatonia
Oct 19: Short Bus - Filter
Oct 20: Infierno 666 - Bushido
Oct 21: Lore - Elder
Oct 24: [OPEN FOR REQUESTS]
Oct 25: [OPEN FOR REQUESTS]
Oct 26: [OPEN FOR REQUESTS]
Oct 27: [OPEN FOR REQUESTS]
Oct 28: [OPEN FOR REQUESTS]
Oct 31: Fear Inoculum - TOOL (I need to cleanse my palette)
what the-
October 3rd: Close to the Edge - Yes

This album wasn't like something I'd heard before. Honestly, some parts reminded me of Led Zeppelin on (more) shrooms. I was a little disappointed when I found out there were only 3 tracks, but one of them, the title track, was 18 minutes long.

Honestly, I was a little disappointed by the album, I guess I just had really high expectations. It was about as long as some EPs I've listened to. The vocalist(s) was/were very hard to understand with a lot of "Ahhhhhhhh"s and "Bah boop bahhhhhhhh"s. I couldn't really what they were saying, but I could understand what they were trying to convey if that makes sense. The guitar was very skillful and really intriguing. The drums were fantastic and I particularly enjoyed how the toms sounded. The synth was absolutely incredible and I wish I knew how to replicate it. It sounded like a mix of a sine wave and a square wave.

In my opinion, some of the album was very boring in general. Honestly, some guitar sections were in the "uncanny valley" of sorts, where it sort of sounded like something that was repeated and just random notes at the same time and was very hard to follow. Then again, some parts were very groovy and representative of the era to say the least.

My favorite song was the last one, Siberian Khatru. It was very filled with activity and didn't have an 8-12 minute buildup/interlude section.

Overall, I give this album a 2.5/5. It had its ups and downs and for the most part, was very entertaining, but overall it was kind of a meh.

Tomorrow I'll check out "My Arms, Your Hearse" by Opeth, which Lopyt suggested to me a while ago.
INFIERNO 666 - Bushido
October 4th: My Arms, Your Hearse - Opeth

This one was suggested to me by Lopyt and I totally see why now. One of the songs I feel like I've heard a million times, like deja vu for songs or something I'm not sure. I think it was Track 6, "Demon of the Fall".

In all seriousness, though, I wasn't very fond of this album. Most of it felt like there were two settings: Soft guitar intro or d e a t h   m e t a l and, while yes I do like those vocals and that doesn't really bother me, I feel like it was pretty boring all the way through. Sometimes I felt it was unnecessary, but most of the time it was just flat-out boring. The riffs and lyrics were very cool and interesting, but not when every song is almost the exact same.

My favorite song was probably the last one, Track 9 "Epilogue". This was very interesting to me and I really enjoyed this song. It felt just like a Pink Floyd song and fit perfectly with the positioning of the album, it really did feel like the entire album was just one big, long story and this was the grand ending to that. The riff at 2:25 of Track 9 was my favorite of the album.

Overall, I give this album a 3.5/5. It was very boring but it wasn't like they just slacked off and made a bad album either. 

Tomorrow, I'll check out "Giving Birth to a Stone" by a small psychedelic band, Peach, which is the bassist of TOOL's previous band and has the original version of "You Lied" on it, of which I haven't listened to yet.

I added Guns' suggestion to October 20th, and I added Filter's "Short Bus" to the 19th. Also a band I found a while ago, Elder, has a really good album I was going to check out called "Lore". Added that to the 21st.
Sorry for the late response.

October 4th: Giving Birth to a Stone - Peach

This album was solid all the way through. I'm not joking, this is one of the best albums I've ever heard. Loved the instrumentals and vocals. Best album I've heard on this album-a-day for sure.

I don't really have a lot to say about this one, it was just really, really good. It was nice to hear the original version of You Lied. The vocals were really good but the guy was British so it kinda ruined it a bit. I really liked how they let Justin (the bassist) show off what he can do and not just play the same thing as the guitarist.

My favorite song was You Lied, hands down. Spasm was a close second, but You Lied had such good vocals and instrumentation on it that it's one of my favorite songs.

5/5, an absolutely awesome album.

Tomorrow (or I guess today) we'll check out Test for Echo by Rush, an album I was really looking forward to.