Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Custom Sound Fonts and NOT publishing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi fellow OS users.

I adore this site, it allows me to make music on a somewhat advanced level (that I'm cofortable with) as a hobby without needing to break my head over a "real DAW", but 2 HUGE setbacks are the audio fonts which are all right, but still vert limiting. Your site has so many amazing features, but not being able to add more instruments manualy is a real bummer to me...

I really appreciate the new instruments being added with the "longer note support" like the new pianos and the Cello (sustain), these are great, but we can also not expect the devs of the site to include everything.

That's why I think this site really needs to allow us to upload and use custom sound fonts in some capacity.

On the other hand, if this is too risky, we end up in another suggestion of mine.

I am a young independant game developper and I would really want to be able to make my music for my games here, and save them online, without publishing my stuff for everyone to see and edit. So, please add private saves, that only you can see!

This is also the solution to the "riskyness" for custom audio fonts if nessecairy.

But I am begging you mostly, from the bottom of my heart, please try adding custom audio font support. It probably isn't the easiest to get up and running, but this site would be genuenly perfect if it had this.

If there are already plans for this PLEASE TELL ME IN A REPLY, thank you!

Thanks for reading this and possibly replying Smile
wdym by custom audio fonts, evaluate
(10-04-2022, 11:23 AM)Crumthecrumb Wrote: [ -> ]wdym by custom audio fonts, evaluate

simply the ability to use your own instrument sounds, or use instruments and effects not present in OS. E.g. a diffirent specific type of piano I have a file for, or an accordeon, which OS does not have.

All mayor sequencer software have this, and smaller ones who don't usually get modded to get it. Obviously the site is still usable without, but I have some of these files, but I can't use them.
Unfortunately, completely custom soundfonts are likely to never come to OS. Adding just a couple instruments already causes storage concerns, and having the ability to upload custom instruments for thousands of sequences is much more of a data issue than adding new instruments is already. For a while now, the community has been talking about a custom synth, which would allow you to design your own sound for OS in a sequence, which should be able to get close to what you want, but I don't think that feature is coming soon. For private saving, you are already able to save copies of your songs offline (this is different from export midi) from the drop down menu next to the blue cloud. The developers of OS have previously stated that privately saving your sequences online will not be coming.
(10-04-2022, 11:29 AM)Cool172 Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately, completely custom soundfonts are likely to never come to OS.  Adding just a couple instruments already causes storage concerns, and having the ability to upload custom instruments for thousands of sequences is much more of a data issue than adding new instruments is already.  For a while now, the community has been talking about a custom synth, which would allow you to design your own sound for OS in a sequence, which should be able to get close to what you want, but I don't think that feature is coming soon.  For private saving, you are already able to save copies of your songs offline (this is different from export midi) from the drop down menu next to the blue cloud.  The developers of OS have previously stated that privately saving your sequences online will not be coming.

Thank you for the response! Are these data concerns like in memory data or in wifi usage? Because maybe songs with custom sound fonts would just be able to only be saved locally if the wifi thing is a problem.
(10-04-2022, 11:36 AM)DotNet Studio Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-04-2022, 11:29 AM)Cool172 Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately, completely custom soundfonts are likely to never come to OS.  Adding just a couple instruments already causes storage concerns, and having the ability to upload custom instruments for thousands of sequences is much more of a data issue than adding new instruments is already.  For a while now, the community has been talking about a custom synth, which would allow you to design your own sound for OS in a sequence, which should be able to get close to what you want, but I don't think that feature is coming soon.  For private saving, you are already able to save copies of your songs offline (this is different from export midi) from the drop down menu next to the blue cloud.  The developers of OS have previously stated that privately saving your sequences online will not be coming.

Thank you for the response! Are these data concerns like in memory data or in wifi usage? Because maybe songs with custom sound fonts would just be able to only be saved locally if the wifi thing is a problem.

I think the data concerns have more to do with what the online sequencer servers can handle, and how long songs with custom sound fonts would take to load
(10-04-2022, 11:38 AM)Cool172 Wrote: [ -> ]

I think the data concerns have more to do with what the online sequencer servers can handle, and how long songs with custom sound fonts would take to load

Wouldn't there be a way to do this without saving online? If most of this loads locally it should be able to work, since other sequencers are capable of doing that. Now I won't act like I know much about this, I'm a biginning Unity dev, so these are also just theories. Ofcourse Chrome or whatever browser could aslo struggle with this. Maybe you could use a browser extention, that always preloads your own soundfonts too.
(10-04-2022, 11:42 AM)DotNet Studio Wrote: [ -> ]

Wouldn't there be a way to do this without saving online? If most of this loads locally it should be able to work, since other sequencers are capable of doing that. Now I won't act like I know much about this, I'm a biginning Unity dev, so these are also just theories. Ofcourse Chrome or whatever browser could aslo struggle with this. Maybe you could use a browser extention, that always preloads your own soundfonts too.
I think I brought this up before, I forget who I asked.  They said that doing that would be taking the online out of online sequencer, It kind of moves the site away from its purpose which is to be making music ONLINE.  A big part of the website is looking at other people's sequences and you can't do that if they aren't even on the website
(10-04-2022, 11:44 AM)Cool172 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-04-2022, 11:42 AM)DotNet Studio Wrote: [ -> ]

I think I brought this up before, I forget who I asked.  They said that doing that would be taking the online out of online sequencer, It kind of moves the site away from its purpose which is to be making music ONLINE.  A big part of the website is looking at other people's sequences and you can't do that if they aren't even on the website

Fair enough, I just wished there was a chance for this. Once more, to me OS would be perfect if the audio fonts werent so limiting. But now knowing the struggles already making the current instruments have sustain I kinda understand it. I'm just struggling sometimes with these audios (I want to point out I think the devs are doing great currently, it's just limiting like I said)