Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Swing Ratio Modulation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Section 1: What is a swing ratio?

In simplest terms, swing ratio is a way to quantify swing. Now, this begs the question, what is swing?
Swing is when one 8th note (Usually the first one) is longer than the other.
The most common example of a swing ratio is 2:1, or triplet swing. In fact, it's pretty much the only swing ration other than 1:1 that isn't in common usage.

Swing ratios also don't have to be n:1, for example, you could have 3:2, where the first 8th note is 3 beats and the second 8th note is 2 beats.

So, now that we have that out of the way, onto the next vocab word.

What is a modulation?

Modulation is when you go from one thing to another. It is usually used in the context of harmony, and specifically keys, where you go from, for example, C major to A major.

You can, however, modulate most quantifiable things, like modes (C Major to C Minor) or, in this example, swing ratios.

How to modulate swing ratios

So, now that we know what a swing ratio is, and what modulation is, how do you modulate swing ratios?

Admittedly, this might be made up, but I'm taking Swing Ratio modulation to mean changing swing ratios but keeping the tempo, if the tempo is quarter notes, while also not changing the grid size, purely for convenience.

So, let's say that the Tempo is 100, and the Swing Ratio is 2:1, and you want to modulate to the swing ratio of 6:5. What bpm should the new swing ratio be in order to match the tempo of the first one? Well, this is what math is for!

So, let's assume that Original Tempo is A, Original Swing Ratio is B, where you add the 2 values (For example, 5:2 would be 7), New Tempo is X, and New Swing Ratio is C

So, the formula for finding the new tempo is A/B=X/C

Plugging the situation into the equation, you get 100/3=X/11

Then you multiply by 11/1 on both sides, to bet 1100/3=X, or ~366.7 bpm

So, to do this in the sequencer, you would have your original swing ratio, like 2:1 which would be every 3 8th notes and for the new one, you would change the bpm to the new one, 367 in this case, and the swing ratio would repeat every 11 8th notes. I'll make a sequence to show this when I'm not lazy.

I admit this is incredibly useless, except for novelty only, but if anyone can come up with a cool use for this it will be welcome.

Ok so addendum to the formula: You can just do Original Temp * New Swing Ratio all over the Old Swing Ratio, or AC/B, which means you dont have to solve an equation. Doesn't make this any more useful though.