Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Can OS be used to produce professional quality music?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The thing with the DAWs is that they are mostly the same but with different interfaces. They can all do the same things, its just the way they are done are different. I personally use Reaper because it gives me a hell of a lot of customizability to my workflow. Ardour is good too, and Cakewalk has kind of a weird workflow but its also good. All three are used in real professional recording studios.

I would recommend picking one, then watching some videos on mixing, music theory, and stuff like that so you have a goal in mind thats greater than just a goal of using the tool. You will figure out how to use the tool by trying to achieve something with the tool Wink
(11-01-2022, 12:46 AM)Lopyt Wrote: [ -> ]The thing with the DAWs is that they are mostly the same but with different interfaces. They can all do the same things, its just the way they are done are different. I personally use Reaper because it gives me a hell of a lot of customizability to my workflow. Ardour is good too, and Cakewalk has kind of a weird workflow but its also good. All three are used in real professional recording studios.

I would recommend picking one, then watching some videos on mixing, music theory, and stuff like that so you have a goal in mind thats greater than just a goal of using the tool. You will figure out how to use the tool by trying to achieve something with the tool Wink

Advice heeded, I'll study up and try some of those you mentioned.

Thanks for the advice and recommendations 🙏
[url=https://emojipedia.org/folded-hands/][/url]
Although it's not what I've done, it's probably best to move to another DAW before you get too accustomed to OS's quirks and limitations. Learning all the fancy techniques on here isn't very useful when you could be doing the same things in another DAW without the complexity that comes with trying to manually shoehorn features into a website that doesn't have them. OS is perfect for practicing your compositions before you are ready for big sound design projects, or making a draft. I enjoy making the most of the features available here and try to make the best music I can on here, and I don't find its feature set to be so limiting that I can't get close to what I was going for.
To answer your original question:
Is it possible? Yes
Is it practical? no
(11-01-2022, 12:07 AM)UlrichSC Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, I'm relatively new here and I've found myself fairly confused about DAW's, especially the comparative capabilities of OS.

By no means am I questioning the many superiorities of the site, when it comes to simplicity and user-friendliness it can't be beaten. I'm just curious if, with loads of practice, 'professional' music can be produced through OS when compared to works that can be developed through other DAW's. 

I'm sure there are obviously more powerful alternatives, but I've heard a lot of conflicting information surrounding the overall quality of OS, and so I guess my question to the more experienced users is:

Is OS more of a fun hobby DAW, or something with legitimate grounds to solely produce professional tracks?

Thanks heaps, I ask this sincerely.

A good musician or singer can make anything work.  There are famous pop recordings done on a 2-track at someone's house.

Hitting the zeitgeist in the right time+place+way will also make anything work.  OS is higher quality than whatever D4L's Laffy Taffy used but Laffy Taffy was in the right place in the right time.

The same type of musicians who did soundtracks for 8-bit games could probably do wonders with OS.
I'm using OS for my exams hehe
Pages: 1 2