Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Feedback Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello, and welcome to what is, as far as I can tell, OS's only Feedback thread! How this is going to work is the following:

If you want feedback: Please post to this thread with a link to the sequence, followed by specific things you want the person giving the feedback to focus on, including but not limited to mixing, composition, or sound design, if applicable. You do not have to post a sequence on OS, but it is preferred for convenience. It would also help to post a recorded file of the sequence for those with bad computers, if possible.

If you would like to give feedback: Reply to the post you are giving feedback on. The following template is a guide to the formatting of the feedback

1.) Outline what the artist did well in the composition in general (I recommend 2 or 3 things to comment on, if possible))
2.) If they specified areas to look at, comment on those. I suggest mentioning the good before the bad
3.) End with other things the artist could change, without sounding negative or scolding. (Again, 2-3 things if possible)
4.) A final sentence with final notes and summary of the feedback.

Try to keep feedback as objective as possible. There are things to avoid in music, so touch on those.
Also, if you have any tips and tricks that you think might enhance the song/sequence, please share, and either go in depth into the mechanics or give an example sequence.

This may seem oddly specific, but I find that there's a general problem with giving feedback on OS, that is, feedback is either nonexistent, incredibly vague, or not helpful to the artist in some other way. With this thread I hope to introduce feedback into the OS community, making the average quality of compositions go up, and helping musicians develop their ears as well.

I will try to be active on this thread when possible, although that my not be possible. My hope is that some higher ranked members of the community take this opportunity to help other musicians get better at their craft, as well as maybe learn a few tricks and techniques for themselves.

I hope you enjoy the thread, and let's hope this doesn't just die immediately.
Does it have to be a sequence? Or can I post soundcloud, vocaroo or more links
(11-01-2022, 09:48 AM)trapbeat349 Wrote: [ -> ]Does it have to be a sequence? Or can I post soundcloud, vocaroo or more links

Preferably a sequence, but if you do have something else I suppose it can be posted. I also can't garuntee that feedback will be given. I'll do my best to spread this around the community, and if others do that too it'll be a big help.

Please help me with the guitar and bass to make them sound similar to the original, listed below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5cSFdGANVc
(11-01-2022, 09:54 AM)ashe x Wrote: [ -> ]

Please help me with the guitar and bass to make them sound similar to the original, listed below.

So first of all, I was wonder why tf was the sequence so laggy, and it turns out there are like 10k extra notes  in the first 7 and a half measures. Im not sure what they're for but if you deleted them that could lat me listen to the sequence.

NOTE: If they were for the clicks, those can be much better executed but just detuning and EQing a stick from one of the drum kits.

In terms of generalizations, I noticed that for the bass, you didn't mess with eq at all. This can help you get a better timbre for what you're going for. If you're doing a completely accurate transcription, I would suggest a mix of Sine and Saw detuned down an octave, maybe with a limiter, and EQ'd for maximum bass for the bass that kicks in around 14 seconds.

The guitar I can't hear, but there are a few techniques for controlling the length of guitar notes that I would ask Vlad or Syntax about (two of the foremost sound designers on the website.) In general, EQ and Detune are your best friends, with Limit being a very close second. Experiment with different combinations of them, I think you will find that with enough experimentation you'll get an understanding of what everything does exactly.

Also, with reverb, experiment with "wetness", the slider for how much reverb. Too much and the sequence sounds muddy. The acual song actually sounds pretty dry, so I'm not sure why there's reverb at all.

I'm sorry I can't get more specific, but I hope this helps Smile
does this hurt your ears?
(11-01-2022, 10:15 AM)Vulm Wrote: [ -> ]

So first of all, I was wonder why tf was the sequence so laggy, and it turns out there are like 10k extra notes  in the first 7 and a half measures. Im not sure what they're for but if you deleted them that could lat me listen to the sequence.

NOTE: If they were for the clicks, those can be much better executed but just detuning and EQing a stick from one of the drum kits.

In terms of generalizations, I noticed that for the bass, you didn't mess with eq at all. This can help you get a better timbre for what you're going for. If you're doing a completely accurate transcription, I would suggest a mix of Sine and Saw detuned down an octave, maybe with a limiter, and EQ'd for maximum bass for the bass that kicks in around 14 seconds.

The guitar I can't hear, but there are a few techniques for controlling the length of guitar notes that I would ask Vlad or Syntax about (two of the foremost sound designers on the website.) In general, EQ and Detune are your best friends, with Limit being a very close second. Experiment with different combinations of them, I think you will find that with enough experimentation you'll get an understanding of what everything does exactly.

Also, with reverb, experiment with "wetness", the slider for how much reverb. Too much and the sequence sounds muddy. The acual song actually sounds pretty dry, so I'm not sure why there's reverb at all.

Sorry, the extra 5k notes are for the thumbnail.
(11-01-2022, 10:28 AM)Lopyt Wrote: [ -> ] does this hurt your ears?

Okay, first of all, INSANE sound design, man, even though it is consistent with your skill level.

To whether or not the sequence is too loud, I don't think it is in the beginning. It does get pretty loud starting on m61. It is a bit busy, though, which is probably more or less the point.

To more specific things:

The Guiro at the end of m36 sounds out of place. I'm not really sure what could replace it but it just... doesnt fit the vibe of the song. I find the same issue with the claps, maybe you could use claps from a different drum set? They just sound too crisp for the vibe.

Other than that, I honestly think this is one of your best, both compositionally and with sound design. Great job!
(11-01-2022, 10:36 AM)ashe x Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-01-2022, 10:15 AM)Vulm Wrote: [ -> ]

Sorry, the extra 5k notes are for the thumbnail.

Okay, understandable, I hope the feedback was still helpful though.

can you rate if it sounds good and is ok as a WIP.
Also I need feedback if I should finish it.
Pages: 1 2