Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Import MIDI function
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi! New here.
What parameters does a MIDI file need to have in order to be importable? I have plenty that I've authored myself, and they are just notes, no PC or CC. They won't import. So then I found a MIDI by someone else that worked, and the only difference I saw was that their MIDI had a PC to define the instrument. So then I wrote a PC into my MIDI and it still won't import. Is there something else I'm missing?
Files by other authors, and files from this site, work fine. But the MIDI files I export from my DAW's piano roll don't work. I use Reaper, if that's pertinent.
It seems like a lot of music software produces this same issue. I tried Ableton, Anvil Studio, and some others, and none of their exported MIDI was able to be imported here. Same issue as with my own MIDI: After the instruments are assigned, the editor just never loads.
Well, I'll keep trying to fix it...
Editor will load eventually
How soon is "eventually"? It loads in 2 seconds with any other MIDI but even 20 minutes isn't enough for any of mine.
(11-12-2022, 03:18 PM)sonic_kitchen Wrote: [ -> ]How soon is "eventually"? It loads in 2 seconds with any other MIDI but even 20 minutes isn't enough for any of mine.
What are you using OS on? Chrome? MAC-Safari? Microsoft Edge?
(11-18-2022, 01:16 AM)Crumthecrumb Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-12-2022, 03:18 PM)sonic_kitchen Wrote: [ -> ]How soon is "eventually"? It loads in 2 seconds with any other MIDI but even 20 minutes isn't enough for any of mine.

It doesn't matter what the browser is. And the midi source makes no difference either.
Online Sequencer cannot load the midi files it creates.
This is odd since midi files created by Online Sequencer are easily read by all other musical programs.

Thankfully The .sequencer files are readable by Online Sequencer.
I don't regularly use the online sequencer anymore for this reason. 

I've converted all my sequencer files over to midi just in case online sequencer fails to import those in the future.
I believe OS developer Ashduino101 is currently working on improving OS midi functionality, as the code the current midi import is based on is very old
(12-08-2022, 05:27 PM)Hooooster668 Wrote: [ -> ]

It doesn't matter what the browser is. And the midi source makes no difference either.
This is odd since midi files created by Online Sequencer are easily read by all other musical programs.

I've converted all my sequencer files over to midi just in case online sequencer fails to import those in the future.
on safari it doesn't load, on microsoft edge it takes a long time to load certain instruments, chrome loads everything, firefox can load everything as
I have Chrome/Win10 and I have never been able to load any of my own MIDI into this. I can go download a MIDI from vgmusic.com and load THAT in here fine, but none of my own authored MIDI. I have yet to obtain clear information about why some files work and some don't. It seems to be unrelated to PC/CC, file extension, file header, etc.
One thing I have noticed is that is mis-detects all my files as having 1 more track than they actually do. But no matter how I instruct OS to deal (or not deal) with any given track in a MIDI item, it does not work.
(12-10-2022, 03:07 AM)Crumthecrumb Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-08-2022, 05:27 PM)Hooooster668 Wrote: [ -> ]

on safari it doesn't load, on microsoft edge it takes a long time to load certain instruments, chrome loads everything, firefox can load everything as

Not True. Midi import doesn't work on firefox, edge, opera, brave, chrome etc ( yes I have tried all those ).
It has been obvious to many for a long time that this is one of those open-source project situations where 
A dev or maintainer just pretends that a problem doesn't exist until the end of time and bans anyone that brings it up too much.
It is free, and I am thankful for that but wouldn't it just make more sense to just acknowledge a problem?
something like "Hey guys everything works but midi import is dodgy until further notice".
Nothing else to say really. Have a great Christmas!
Pages: 1 2