Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: My perspective on composition.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
To start, This is all my personal thought and I thought some of you would like to provide your insight about this topic as well. 

I like to think of composition as something similar to creative writing. 

what makes every novel unique, they may have the same overarching story, but the words are different which makes up the building blocks of songs. 
This is what I would associate with genre. The vibe can be the same throughout the genre, but it's different in the makeup. 

So then we arrive to the bread and butter of musical composition. The MELODY. 
We all learn how to write sentences in school and we have either simple, compound, complex, and compound complex. 
We learn to string words together to make coherent sentences. Thus a melody is written with the words being notes. 

So finally with paragraphs, we learn to express our thoughts using blocks and overarching ideas and this is where we form a complete thought. 
This is where learning structure is important. Like an essay with its formula, music has its formulas that you can use as help. 

This also means that you should treat every reading and every listening as a learning experience. Do not just learn the information, learn how it was all compiled. 

This is how I understand composition. 

let me know what you think about this topic.