Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Add a dialog box to fix zero-length notes on imported MIDI files.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When importing a MIDI, it will most likely have zero-length notes. Sometimes these notes are not meant to be played, but sometimes they are, and the song is missing content.
I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but it does seem like it could be handled better.

This problem happens all the time, you can probably find this from the front page of the website as well. Due to this, I am able to provide a link to an affected imported MIDI, which was probably uploaded less than 30 minutes ago:

[url=][/url]

Enter edit mode and select all the notes. You will see notes that are zero-length. To fix this, resize the notes by one unit and then subtract the size by one unit. This will cause the notes to have a minimum length of one unit. The song will then sound different.
In addition, I have provided an image attachment to see the problem (if it loads, I don't expect the forum to save the image years later)

I propose a dialog box that will ask the user if they want to keep the zero-length notes, specify a length for them, or delete them. This will also reduce the file size that the affected sequences have (if the user chooses to delete them).

What do you all think about this? Should this be implemented?
it's just hidden notes.
(01-07-2023, 04:21 PM)Benvisions Wrote: [ -> ]it's just hidden notes.

These are from imported MIDIs and from my testing they play fine through the MIDI driver on my PC.

No, these notes are not for the purpose of creating an icon for the cover of the song, although that is a valid point.
our midi file uploader has almost always been janky, and we're slowly but surely making tweaks to it. the zero-width notes are mostly the midi reader not parsing the file correctly when applying it to the sequencer
agree.  It's great to find sequences to rework them.  But you get stuck when you find out you didn't expand the zero length notes.