Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Want some Ideas?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Don't want to read?: 

Having trouble with ideas? or maybe you don't have a firm grasp on how to use scales over chords, this weird piece I made should be able to help you out. Everything on here is based off my understanding of music theory, In other words, this is more akin to a classical style of music, so if you're looking for some good EDM, it ain't here, but if you just want some some ideas of a more classical nature, I might have some of those. If you like this sample, feel free to scroll down and check the others out: .
(p.s. I'm not trying to say that my genre or anything is better, I respect all tastes in music and anybody who takes the time to come up with it, except for pop)
You know what I'm posting everything here. Fur Elise original. Fur Elise 2.0 with some little bells and whistles. a song I transcribed that one of my guitar teachers wrote. song made with Skyrim and Pirates of the Caribbean in mind. Some weird thing I made to test arpeggios I wrote long before finding this site, First thing I made here.
The counting on this one sounds off, but has some interesting rhythms.
Here's a really short loop that kind of reminds me of an intro to a cheesy family show

New song, got some cool arpeggio chord stuff going on

Short loop that gets really irritating after about 20 min

Intrepid Depths- no clue on the name, it just sounded cool
One thing that bothered me was the OP. You said you are an "actual musician". I have no problem with this alone; by definition, you are an actual musician... but so is everyone else on this entire website. My problem is the way you worded it as if you believed only people who play or create classical music are musicians, and that people who make EDM are especially unmusical. I'm not personally offended by that, because I know you didn't mean it that way, but I'm guessing that some people are going to, or have, taken it the wrong way. It's a pretty small mistake, but I'd suggest rewording the OP so the message isn't misconstrued.
Now, back to the music. It's really good, and it gets better the more recent it is, but it still feels like it's missing something. I think the problem is that you mainly focus on chords, but then you don't make any parts where there aren't chords. ... I feel like there was a better way of describing that, but I failed entirely. Take Eric's song, [url=]Path of the Warrior[/url]. This song is very powerful. The difference between his songs and yours are that his have parts where only one note is playing, parts where two notes are playing, three, four, so on. Anyway, Your main problem is that you skip the build up and go straight into full chords. This causes a few problems for the audience. One, it takes away the depth of power for the song. The one/two note parts of Path of the Warrior are light, whereas the parts with full chords are heavy. He uses this to change the dynamics of the song at certain times, which you can see inside the song if you look. (Not going to try and describe a certain part of the song with words. I can't even describe words with words lol) Anyway, it doesn't take you long to notice how the beginning builds up from small 1-2 noters (Not the official term, IK) to full blown chords. You are missing the 1-2 noters. You got the big 3-5 noters down, but you still need the 1-2 noters. After all, an elephant doesn't look big next to a ton of other big elephants. You need to see something smaller as a ... reference point, I guess..

Hopefully this isn't going to be "Tl;dr"
I completely agree with Jonah. His points are not only valid, but hit pretty close to home. I, for one, am only a sophomore in high school with very limited classical training, yet I have managed to teach myself a considerable amount about music theory from experimenting and practice on this website and other resources. Although, I will point out that EDM is not music (I enjoy classically composed numbers), but my the points made are still true nevertheless.
(01-24-2017, 07:44 AM)Jonah Wrote: [ -> ]One thing that bothered me was the OP. You said you are an "actual musician". I have no problem with this alone; by definition, you are an actual musician... but so is everyone else on this entire website. My problem is the way you worded it as if you believed only people who play or create classical music are musicians, and that people who make EDM are especially unmusical. I'm not personally offended by that, because I know you didn't mean it that way, but I'm guessing that some people are going to, or have, taken it the wrong way. It's a pretty small mistake, but I'd suggest rewording the OP so the message isn't misconstrued.
Now, back to the music. It's really good, and it gets better the more recent it is, but it still feels like it's missing something. I think the problem is that you mainly focus on chords, but then you don't make any parts where there aren't chords. ... I feel like there was a better way of describing that, but I failed entirely. Take Eric's song, [url=]Path of the Warrior[/url]. This song is very powerful. The difference between his songs and yours are that his have parts where only one note is playing, parts where two notes are playing, three, four, so on. Anyway, Your main problem is that you skip the build up and go straight into full chords. This causes a few problems for the audience. One, it takes away the depth of power for the song. The one/two note parts of Path of the Warrior are light, whereas the parts with full chords are heavy. He uses this to change the dynamics of the song at certain times, which you can see inside the song if you look. (Not going to try and describe a certain part of the song with words. I can't even describe words with words lol) Anyway, it doesn't take you long to notice how the beginning builds up from small 1-2 noters (Not the official term, IK) to full blown chords. You are missing the 1-2 noters. You got the big 3-5 noters down, but you still need the 1-2 noters. After all, an elephant doesn't look big next to a ton of other big elephants. You need to see something smaller as a ... reference point, I guess..

Hopefully this isn't going to be "Tl;dr"
Oh, I didn't mean that, i meant I avidly studied music theory and play several instruments, I didn't mean to come off like an elitist. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Also, to be honest I didn't think people actually read that stuff, just clicked on links.