Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Width setting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A thing that bothers me about panning an instrument is how it needs to be panned a LOT before it sounds focussed to one side, though my idea to this, that would also give us more control over panning in general and allow us to create cleaner sequences, is a "width" setting, this setting would be able to limit the width of the samples to that the samples sound more direct to wherever you panned it to.

I think this would greatly improve sequencing, quality wise, it would make the end results on the site notably better!

I hope this gets looked at thanks for reading Smile
I smell an idea
(03-01-2023, 01:23 AM)Crumthecrumb Wrote: [ -> ]I smell an idea

do you like this idea?
This is just how panning works. Adjusting mid/side balance wouldn't help
(03-19-2023, 11:54 AM)Lopyt Wrote: [ -> ]This is just how panning works. Adjusting mid/side balance wouldn't help

but there is certain samples that are really wide, like the new distortion guitar, you can clearly hear it on the left and the right. It would be optimal of all samples were "wide" like this, aka very stereo, and then a left/right limiter would allow us to have more contol over it. I know it's possible with normal panning, but the issue with normal panning is that it's impossible to make a sound sound like it's ACTUALLY coming from the left and the right! With the pianos you can kinda fake this by having an onld piano at the left and a new one at the right but you'll obviously hear the diffirence, while if we had with settings, that would be a lot easier, and possible with everything! 

Maybe width could work like reverb and limit option, where it has certain presets, like a "left and right" preset to do what I just (attempted to) discribe, or a "focussed left" which makes it sound obviously on the left, but still clearly audible on the right (no clue how this would work, EQ on one side to make it a little less sharp? I am also just makign usggestions lol :p)
It would not be possible to just make every sample super wide without rerecording everything twice. This is how real DAWs like Ardour, Cakewalk, Reaper, Protools, etc. Work with panning also. You are basically just adjusting the volume of the left or right channel when you pan something
(03-19-2023, 04:58 PM)Lopyt Wrote: [ -> ]It would not be possible to just make every sample super wide without rerecording everything twice. This is how real DAWs like Ardour, Cakewalk, Reaper, Protools, etc. Work with panning also. You are basically just adjusting the volume of the left or right channel when you pan something

I guess that is true, I might have a wrong image of panning in my head.
(03-19-2023, 04:58 PM)Lopyt Wrote: [ -> ]It would not be possible to just make every sample super wide without rerecording everything twice. This is how real DAWs like Ardour, Cakewalk, Reaper, Protools, etc. Work with panning also. You are basically just adjusting the volume of the left or right channel when you pan something

I just came up with a much more logical suggestion, an option to "mirror the sound", which essentially plays the sample fully panned to the left and aswell fully panned to the right.
This is a much more logical solution. And please don't tell me that is the same as just playing something loudly, I've done this effect in post-processing on a song once, using a diffirent program, and it works so awesomely! It gives a very strange effect.

Maybe we could call this "spread" and put it next to the delay button, where reverb used to be.

Opinions on that? Please playing two of something one panned 100% left and one 100% right is not the same as just playing it loudly :p
(panning would do the same as usual, just adjusting the volume of one side or the other)

Another way to explain this is "playing the sample about 90% mono" or even "100% mono" if nothing else is possible, but on both side channels.

I cannot even try to explain this better.
I hope this makes more sense!
You can't really add width without dual tracking the actual samples, or it sounding bad. You don't need super wide samples to make a wide song though, thats what all the mixing is about!
(03-22-2023, 08:26 AM)Lopyt Wrote: [ -> ]You can't really add width without dual tracking the actual samples, or it sounding bad. You don't need super wide samples to make a wide song though, thats what all the mixing is about!

Not necessarily, the only thing I can see becoming a problem is potential phasing issues. Stereoizers are used all the time in a lot of music like EDM to increase the stereo image. I'm pretty sure most of the files on this site are stereo files. One other option I can see being used is 360 spacialization techniques using the HRTF. Panner node in Web audio API
Pages: 1 2