Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Computer problem (please help)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The problem is the entire computer hangs sometimes when a game crashes in WINE, or just randomly also not in WINE. I often have to go to TTY and restart X after it hangs as the UI freezes after the hanging. This never happened on Intel Core i5-4590 with GTX 680. I Moved the same hard drive without reinstalling the operating system. This seems to happen more in games now, after I tried all the following things and less in general. And mostly when launching the games, when it launches and the game gets going it usually is fine for hours but 10min after launching is when they have the most problems. The person I bought it from was having random bluescreens in Windows 10 Home and the error code was something related to graphic driver. In Xorg.0.log, every time this happens I get NVIDIA: Channel Idle Timed Out. I don't know what other logs to check.

Computer specs:
CPU:    Ryzen 5 2600, with EVGA 240CLC Water cooler
GPU:    NVidia RTX 2070 Super
RAM:    24GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPx, and another cheap amzon stick I was using to test with, running at 2666MT/s
Drives:  APOLLO 512GB SSD
             WD Green 2TB HDD
             Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD
PSU:     EVGA Supernova G5 650W
MB:       Gigabyte B450m DS3H
Screen: ViewSonic E771, HDMI to VGA adapter
Sound:  2 M-audio Fasttrack Pro interfaces, Nektar SE49 MIDI controller
OS:       Manjaro linux with 6.1.12-1-MANJARO kernel, official nvidia driver proprietary, Xorg

What I've tried that didn't do anything:
Updating
Rebooting
Reinstalling nVidia drivers
New GPU (from GTX 680, to GTX 1060 6GB, to RTX 2070Super)
Turning off C states
Overclocking RAM (3000MT/s)
Overclocking CPU (4.1GHz)
Underclocking CPU (0.8GHz)
Underclocking RAM (1333MT/s)
Undervolting RAM (-100mv)
Undervolting CPU (VCORE -100mv)
Overvolting CPU (VCORE +200mv
Overvolting VCORE_SOC (+12mv)
Updating kernel
Turning off AMD Cool'n'Quiet
Changing to Typical_Current_Idle
Turning off fTPM
Turning on Above 4G Decoding
Clearing CMOS
Turning off virtualization support
Unplugging overnight for caps to drain
Heatgunning RAM
Turning all fans to maximum (CPU did not exceed 40 degrees under full load)
Different hard drive with my old Linux Mint installed
Deleting System32
Putting in rice
crying

What I've tried that did something, but didnt fix the problem:
Updating BIOS seemed to mostly remove the random freezing outside of games, but in games it still hangs the whole system.

Using 1 stick of RAM completely removed the problem, but then I kept running out of RAM. Adding another stick of RAM so I had 3 made it happen less, but its still happenning every day. 2 sticks of RAM are the least stable. Doesn't matter what slot I put them in either. I tried each different stick individually too in case it was just a bad stick but this kept happening.

Using Nouveau open source graphic driver also seemed to fix the problem but I didnt test it for long since the performance on that was like 80% worse.

I think the problem is the CPU, or the memory controller on the CPU SOC, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on the CPU and have the same problem.

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
you might try posting this in a forum more geared toward tech support, i doubt that the forum of a music making website will be much help. hopefully your problem resolves soon though !
I posted it in General Discussion since its not about music?
(03-09-2023, 06:30 PM)pseudoname Wrote: [ -> ]you might try posting this in a forum more geared toward tech support, i doubt that the forum of a music making website will be much help. hopefully your problem resolves soon though !

I do agree with you.
lopyt you're the local linux expert here
Try destroying the PC and re-build it from the start with super glue
Tried a new CPU (Ryzen 7 5700G) and had the exact same issue Now only 1 RAM stick is showing. Since I've replaced everything else best guess is motherboard :/
You problem
No I am not the problem
Yes you are
Pages: 1 2