Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: pattern (marker?)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am certain this is a thing that has been requested alot before, but I was wondering if there was any way we'd be able to have patterns in OS. If might have come up with how they could possibly function:

I present to you, "Pattern Markers!"

These markers would not be normal markers (as to keep them separated from normal markers, as they serve a diffirent purpose) but they would be placed on the same bar as the normal markers. They'd look like simple vertical lines, possibly in the color of the instrument they are recording, this would clearly distinguish them from the orange triangle markers, and it would make them be nicely in the middle of them, so they wouldn't overlap.

The way this would work, I theorise, is that you'd have 2 types of markers, or 4 diffirent markers total. But I'd say 2, as they'd work like extending a note.

You'd first need to place the notes for whatever pattern you'd want to make somewhere, then using a "record" pattern node, you'd be able to say e.g. record all Electric Piano notes, then all the electric piano notes underneath the marker (as I explained earlier it would function as an extendable marker, like extending notes) would be recorded, under whatever name/number the marker is named (maybe if possible also display the name on the marker itself, which would be slightly colored diffirently to indicate you're inbetween the 2 markers now).

Then if you place a "Play Pattern Marker" it would just start playing that patterns notes on loop untill the Play Pattern Marker ends. Maybe the marker bar for patterns could be horizontally split, the top for recording markers aand the bottom for playing markers.

If a Play Pattern Marker would end mid-pattern the pattern would stop playing there (would be amazing, in my opinion, if the notes would also completely stop, and not keep playing untill the current notes would be finished)

Why would this be a great feature?
- It would help prevent cluttered sequences
- It would help with double-looping (or more) songs, that if you edit one half, the other would change too
- It would prevent the need to memorise all the changes you might have made to one area as they could be copied to another area
- It would help with sequence structuring, it would speed the process drastically, and also make it loads easier to edit
- It would help OS Improve majorly compared to proffesional DAWs

One final note before ending this suggestion:
It'd be really cool if the pattern notes where it would be placed would be slightly see-through, and always in "high performance graphics" mode, to save on resources, and to help distinguish them. If possible, maybe we could add a toggle in the UI that enables the visibility of the copied patterns.

Thanks so much for reading! I hope this inspires you all to let a great new addition arise!<3