Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Just tried the synth, here are my thoughts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Its a good start but I believe more should be added. Most importantly, we should add:

Envelope (ADSR) for the filter

A second or third oscillator

Volume per oscillator

Detune (in cents from -100 to 100) per oscillator

A unison control (basically create 2 or more copies of the sound and pan them left and right, then detune them in cents from -100 to 100 with a slider)

One thing thats not really necessary but would be amazing would be a slider to FM modulate OSC 1 by OSC 2. This would allow us to make everything from electric rhodes piano sounds, to dubstep bass.

Good work, I am excited for the end result!
Lots of good suggestions...

Do you think i could make rap 808s with this?
Make a setting where it turns off the distortion clashing with other notes
(on by default)
Also, make it so you can drag the dots on the ADSR, im always so used to doing that in vital i keep forgetting i cant on os lol
(07-06-2023, 07:53 AM)Lopyt Wrote: [ -> ]Its a good start but I believe more should be added. Most importantly, we should add:

Envelope (ADSR) for the filter

A second or third oscillator

Volume per oscillator

Detune (in cents from -100 to 100) per oscillator

A unison control (basically create 2 or more copies of the sound and pan them left and right, then detune them in cents from -100 to 100 with a slider)

One thing thats not really necessary but would be amazing would be a slider to FM modulate OSC 1 by OSC 2. This would allow us to make everything from electric rhodes piano sounds, to dubstep bass.

Good work, I am excited for the end result!

Now we are talking. I like where this is going.
everyone deep enough into the os lore to even come across this thread would vote yes. Keep in mind all of these things add complexity and development time to the feature, and equally importantly, make it a little more intimidating to unsuspecting users.
(07-06-2023, 02:47 PM)Cool172 Wrote: [ -> ]everyone deep enough into the os lore to even come across this thread would vote yes.  Keep in mind all of these things add complexity and development time to the feature, and equally importantly, make it a little more intimidating to unsuspecting users.

That is true. However, where I am from, there is always room for optimization.
They should at least add the FM slider, as it would be so versatile.
(07-06-2023, 04:35 PM)SnakeyWaters Wrote: [ -> ]They should at least add the FM slider, as it would be so versatile.

I think fm modulation with the ability to create "everything from electric rhodes piano sounds, to dubstep bass" would definitely be more than just a slider.  It would be super cool to have that ability though!  My main concern besides the additional work required to make it work is that these new features will be too tricky for random people to figure out without instruction.  OS is often used in education or as a tool for people who don't want the complexity of a daw.  It's great that the techniques we can use here are so limitless that we can make music that few people would expect to come from a midi editor, but that nuance comes through how you use the basic tools OS gives you, and not the tools themselves.  The UI on OS is very obvious and simple, yet flexible, but advanced synth features run the risk of breaking the simplicity.  
Actually a 2OSC FM with ADSR and detune shift (if up to like +-12 octaves) on both OSC is really that versatile. You can do everything with FM
Pages: 1 2