Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: How to (and how to not) Make a good sequence-open for disscussion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello. I wanted to make a thread where people can put their own tips and tricks for making good sequences. I have a few myself:

1. Avoid the following chords: More than two notes directly above/below each other, Chords in the bass range, and chords with stress on an off-key note. Chords are an excellent way to create depth and emotion in your sequences, if used right. However, proper chords are hard to pull off. Chords with more than two notes vertically adjacent to each other (example: onlinesequencer.net/293363 ) obviously tend to make a bland, off key sound. Instead, focus on chords with spaced out notes like this: onlinesequencer.net/293364, which have much more tone to them. Chords should also be limited in the lower range frequencies. When you have chords like these: onlinesequencer.net/285923, the deep notes sound distorted and ugly. Limit such chords to higher notes, or use a simple octave chord in the bass range. ( onlinesequencer.net/285925 ), to avoid this distortion. When using chords with stacked notes, be sure to stack only the primary notes in the chord that follow the key (C or G for Cmajor). Examples: onlinesequencer.net/293372 (wrong), onlinesequencer.net/293373 (right).
  2. "Octaving" should be limited, but not avoided. "Octaving" is a different kind of chord in which each note is spaced 12 notes (one octave) from each other. Octaving is a great way of creating/emphasizing toe-tapping rhythm (a reason not to avoid it). However, that rhythm can be disrupted if you use octaving too much ( onlinesequencer.net/293376 ). Instead, try using octaves only on key changes, or on/near beats in a set rhythm: onlinesequencer.net/293377.
  3. Use different instruments that compliment each other. The online sequencer has 12 instruments, not including percussion. Some of these instruments don't sound as good alone, such as sci-fi, or cello/violin, as with other instruments. Consider mixing the two piano instruments together; they create a sort of "chorus piano" sound that works good for more dreamy sequences. Electric Piano and Electric Guitar, as well as a little bass, make a more gritty, death metal styled guitar strum. I figured these out simply by experimenting with the different note types, to try and create a unique sound. You can do the same thing.
  4. MAKE MUSIC, NOT PICTURES. This sounds kind of off-place, but sequences are more about what you hear, not about what you see. Examples of sequences that defeat the whole purpose of sequencing: random notes: onlinesequencer.net/293386;  random pictures: onlinesequencer.net/293388; and worst of all, black midi/spam/lag sequences with the intention of crashing your ears/browser: (I didn't want to find an example for this one, for the sake of everyone's hearing).
You're free to add any more tips if you want. These were just some of the tips I had.