Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: How to make anything sound vintage?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just like the lo-fi feel
It's not easy, but it's doable. There are some folks here who have spent a long time trying to recreate warm, organic sounds, which is challenging on a midi sequencer.

Really, it's a thought process. Go listen to vintage music (not lofi, but the clips the lofi comes from). Figure out what sounds you liked in which songs, and what you liked about them. Isolate components of each sound in your mind. Heard a great piano? Come back here and try to recreate it. Take an instrument (doesn't have to be a piano, mind you!) and then go to Advanced Settings. Mess around with all of the options. Play with EQ, all of the reverbs, all of the distortions. I've been working on this for four years. Although the newest OS features make it easier than it used to be, this is going to take finesse and some practice. Don't worry about getting it wrong - getting it wrong a bunch of times is one of the steps towards getting it right Smile

There are some advanced tricks you can use to make things even sound better, but we can get to those later.

Try it out, and post your attempts here! I'd be happy to assist a little bit. Maybe you'll come up with some new ideas that no one has invented so far!