Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Lucent's Tutorial On How To Make Great Music On OS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(04-30-2017, 09:17 PM)jugboy Wrote: [ -> ]Watcha wanna do is just lay the notes out to the length you want, and then when you export as midi, the notes will be that length.

thank you!!
how do i import a local file
Too lazy to read.
(03-21-2018, 04:23 AM)APerson Wrote: [ -> ]Too lazy to read.

I'm sure you'd rather like to write the tutorial in my place? We got a bunch of things to discuss about as mentioned in the post. You can start by writing the chord tutorial, how to use different instruments, pseudo-sustaining-- hell, you write the artcore tutorial for me.

If you have nothing to contribute, then please keep silent. I'm still revising the tutorial, it's only a matter of when it's going to be released.
How do you even record?
no recording feature on here.
NOTICE: THIS SECTION OF THE TUTORIAL INVOLVES SOME MORE FINICKY ASPECTS OF MAKING SEQUENCES ON ONLINE SEQUENCER! IT IS RECOMMENDED TO WAIT UNTIL YOU HAVE A GOOD GRASP OF ONLINE SEQUENCER TO DO SOME OF THE THINGS LISTED HERE!

Welcome to my contribution to this tutorial! Here you can perform some potentially lesser known tricks on online sequencer to spice up your music!

Custom delay:
While Online Sequencer does already have a delay feature, it more or less attempts a "one size fits all" delay, which, well, doesn't always "fit." Here's how you can make your own delay feature.

Step 1
Start by opening up the dropdown menu and turning the volume down on the instrument you want to have the custom delay. This technique can abuse layering, depending on how complicated you decide to make the delay. This tutorial will just make a basic delay. Please note that the reverb is optional.
[attachment=68]

Step 2
Place the "main" note. In this example, it consists of 3 notes stacked on top each other.
[attachment=69]

Step 3
Place the "ghost" notes. These are the notes that make up the delay. The ghost notes must have at least one less note stacked on top of them than the main note. How many notes less they have stacked on top of them than the main note depends on what feel you want for your delay. In this example, I decided to have the ghost notes consist of a single note (so no stacking) and placed them every 3 grid lengths. The second picture shows how you can lock the instrument to see which notes are main notes and which are ghost notes (the more faded notes are ghost notes).
[attachment=70][attachment=71]

Step 4
Replicate this for each note you want to have the custom delay, and viola[!], you have your sequence!
[attachment=72]

The completed sequence can be seen here: https://onlinesequencer.net/804579.

A more complicated use of the custom delay can be seen here: https://onlinesequencer.net/809080.
Accessing the Console:
Prepare to start doing some BLACK MAGIC with your sequences. The console menu may let you do one of the more useful things in online sequencer....which will be talked about after this.

If you are using a Windows computer, you are lucky. All you have to do is press f12 to open the console.

If you are using a mac, well, sorry, you don't have a hotkey. You'll have to do it the manual way.

Start by right clicking anywhere except in the area where the notes are. I prefer to use the blue area in between the navigation buttons and the ad. Then click the "inspect" option.
[attachment=84]

This will open the "inspect" menu at one of 2 different kinds of widths. For the first scenario, a wider menu will pop up. All you have to do is click the console button where the arrow is pointing (see below).
[attachment=85]

In the second scenario, a smaller menu will appear where you don't see "console" like above. You'll have to click the arrow, which will open a drop down menu. Then just click the console option.
[attachment=86]

And voila! Now you have access to the console
[attachment=87]

If you are using a linux, then...wait, do people even use linux?? Tbh I have no idea how to access the console on a linux; I don't have a linux and I don't know anyone who does.

Changing Grid Lengths:
From what I've seen, this is BY FAR what most commonly asked on how to do. And sure, while you can find it on the experiments page, most new users didn't know that there even is one (for some reason it's no longer a button at the top of the screen), let alone know how to access it (it is here, btw --> https://onlinesequencer.net/experiments).

Making custom grid lengths is pretty simple. First, so online sequencer knows that you want to change the grid, you must type "grid=" (don't hit enter yet!). Then, to define your grid length, you must type the reciprocal of what you actually want it to be (relative to the 1/4 grid length). For example, if I want a grid length that is 3/2 the length of a standard grid length, I would type in grid=2/3. Basically, when you do this, you tell the console that you want to place notes with a length so that there are 2 notes (the numerator) every 3 grid lengths (the denominator). Once you have your custom grid length, if you change the key, it will change the grid itself (However, you don't have to change the grid itself by changing the key. Doing that is for visual purposes only).
[attachment=88]
Using Un-implemented Instruments:
WHHHAAATTT!?!??!? THERE ARE MORE THAN THE 40 INSTRUMENTS THAT I CAN EASILY ACCESS ON ONLINE SEQUENCER!?!?!? Yes. Yes there are (unless you already knew that). This section will not just be for using un-implemented instruments, but also the specifics on what actually defines a note.

It's fairly easy to use un-implemented instruments, but they are a bit more limited than other instruments.
There are currently 8 un-implemented instruments:
• Church Organ (Dark Blue)
• Flute (Slightly Green-Tinted Beige, I guess)
• Pop Synth (Mint Green)
• Saxaphone (It's Probably Closest to Olive, I'd say)
• Synth Bass (Maybe a Paris Green?)
• 8-bit Drums (Like a Crimson, or Ruby Red?, range is G2-C3)
• 808 Drums (Brick red, range is D#2-G#3)
• 808 Bass (Black, range is G2-E4)

You can find them here: https://onlinesequencer.net/776827 and copy+paste the un-implemented instruments you want onto your sequence.

Now, sometimes the copying and pasting between sequences can be a bit finicky, and doesn't always work. That's where this next part comes in.

For example if you want to put in a flute, but you can't get the copy and paste to work, then copy this text below into a sequence (it has been color-coded for the purpose of explaining what each part represents): Online Sequencer:367468:0 B5 1 23;

The Yellow Section: tbh I have no idea what this does. For some reason it doesn't work for me without this.

The Red Section: This indicates the column that the instrument will appear in. 0 is the leftmost column. 1 is to the right of it. 2 is to the right of that, and so on. The picture below shows the ID's for some of the leftmost columns.
[attachment=90]

The Blue Section: This indicates the pitch of the note you want to place. The pitch typed corresponds to it's location on the playable keyboard part of the online sequencer sequence making page.

The Green Section: this section corresponds to the length of the note. Specifically, how many grid spaces it takes up.
[attachment=91]

The Orange Section: This section is the instrument's ID. Each instrument has its own ID. The ID's of the un-implemented instruments are below.
Church Organ: 28
Flute: 23
Pop Synth: 30
Saxaphone: 24
Synth Bass: 27
8-bit Drums: 39
808 Drums: 36
808 Bass: 37

This doesn't just work on un-implemented instruments, you can do the same for instruments already in use. In fact, this is the basis for the online (or offline) sequencer .txt files (what you get when you save a local file).

The limitations: Since these instruments aren't actually implemented yet, there are many functions that implemented instruments easily let you do that require you to be a little more involved to do them with un-implemented instruments (mostly because they aren't in the instrument settings dropdown menu (see below)):

[attachment=89]

It is also good to note that these limitations are to the best of my knowledge. These limitations might not actually exist, but if they don't, then I don't know it.

• You can place un-implemented instruments using the draw tool! In the console (remember that?) you must type in instrument=(ID). See the ID's of the un-implemented instruments in the orange sections.

You can also change the volumes of the un-implemented instruments. In the console, you must type audioSystem.setInstrumentVolume(ID, Volume), where the default volume is 1. Please note that this will not save when you save the sequence.

To turn reverb on, you must type audioSystem.setReverb(ID, 1) into the console. To turn it off, you must type audioSystem.setReverb(ID, 0) into the console. Please note that this will not save when you save the sequence.

• To turn delay on, you must type audioSystem.setDelay(ID, 1) into the console. To turn it off, you must type audioSystem.setDelay(ID, 0) into the console. Please note that this will not save when you save the sequence.

• You cannot lock un-implemented instruments.

Because these limitations can make them a lot harder to use, many composers avoid using them. Use them at your own risk!
Sound Effects:
Because some people's entire lives are spent just randomly combining things on OS (。々°). On a more serious note, these effects can really add atmosphere to your songs. I'll post more as I find them.

Rain:
Huge thanks to Munghkee and Wafels for figuring this out.
This sound effect just completely abuses pseudo-spamming, and combines it with reverb and a volume adjustment to make it sound like rain. It is percussion only. The main problem with this is that the louder the volume is, the less like rain it sounds. Here is a sample of the effect if you want to use it. 

Thunder:
Prepare to praise Wafels again.
The world update added the pizzicato, which, when at the lowest possible notes of it's range, can make a thunder effect.
Pages: 1 2 3 4