Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: An easier way to stretch out/ sustain a tune. [◂|▸] [IMPLEMENTED]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Imagine, if you will, that you are making a wonderful masterpiece using the classic cello. Unfortunately, at it's current rate the cello plays 1 tone per block in the measurement; It's tone deafened before it's able to mix with the other sounds. Now, imagine that you hover your mouse over either end of that block, and you see this symbol: " ◂|▸ " replace your mouse's icon. You click, and pull out the bar to the exact measurement you want it to be. And now, that tone is sustained throughout the measurement you created. 

I am not a coder, nor any form of developer, but I have an idea of how this particular sequence works. 

The tone is divided into two parts. We will call those points Ⓐ and Ⓑ. The tone, when played, simply activates Ⓐ for a starting time point then Ⓑ almost instantly as a way to end the tone for that singular duration. Now, if we chose to make Ⓒ a new Point, we can make the duration of the tone longer with blocks relative to either side of Ⓑ via the number of blocks between the Points Ⓐ and Ⓒ depending on how much space extrudes from point to point. Sounds a bit repetitive, so here is a visual so you can see what I'm seeing.

Ⓐ❑Ⓑ  ➝  Ⓐ❑❑❑Ⓑ❑❑❑Ⓒ

Each block (❑) stands for how ever many times the tone is repeated as a way to sustain the tone throughout the measurement.

So How would this look? ║B3❑║ +   ↙ (mouse hover) = ║B3❑║◂|▸ + ⇦⇨ (mouse drag left/right) = ║B3❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑║◂|▸  (right 9x's)

This is not a post to the thread "how to change note lengths" but a suggestion on how a future keystrokes might work. Again, not a programmer, so I may be WAY OUTTA MA LEAGUE on this one.

With hope, please help me to understand if this is a terrible/smart idea.

-Strange Fox (a.k.a. Redmund)

(p.s. I hope you enjoyed my use of symbols)

*Update 6/13/17* This feature has been added thankfully, so give those Devs a hand!